Heads up: release of tesseract 4.0

Zdenko Podobny

Sep 22, 2018, 11:06:34 AM9/22/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I would like to thank all who share their thought about releasing new version of tesseract [1]. I took my time and I decided we should make release at the middle October 2018 (14-21...).

This should means that no new features will be applied to current code. There is not time for testings. Anyway please feel free to send your patch/PR - it will included after 4.0 release.

There are several ways, how people can contribute to this process:
  • Developers: go through open issues, try to fix it. Please make a comment when you start do deal with issue, so we can use our capacity efficiently.
  • Packagers: please test if building and packaging process is working fine. If something is broken, try to fix&submit it fast. Please give a note to forum or me directly, where users can find your "product", so we can put information about supported systems to release notes.
  • "Wrappers": if you are producing wrapper for tesseract, please give a note to forum or me directly if you support tesseract 4: I would like to promote your work.
  • "No code" developers:
    • check open issues, test it with the latest code if it still valid report, prepare test case if missing, report duplicates, suggest label etc.
    • Improve documentation, release notes, man pages etc...
    • English native speaker: check documentation, release notes etc.
Thanks to all who help us to get to this point. I really appreciate all ways of support.

Zdenko

Zdenko Podobny

Sep 30, 2018, 1:50:56 PM9/30/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com, tesser...@googlegroups.com
RC 1[1] ready.
Please test, test, test. Especially if you are wrapping tesseract and creating/providing packages.
Report problems ASAP in issue tracker, so we can fix it until finale release.

Zdenko

so 22. 9. 2018 o 17:06 Zdenko Podobny <zde...@gmail.com> napísal(a):

Stefan Weil

Oct 1, 2018, 8:11:03 AM10/1/18
to tesseract-dev
Should we publish 4.0.0-rc1 as a pre-release on GitHub?

Zdenko Podobny

Oct 1, 2018, 9:48:53 AM10/1/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com

po 1. 10. 2018 o 14:11 'Stefan Weil' via tesseract-dev <tesser...@googlegroups.com> napísal(a):
Should we publish 4.0.0-rc1 as a pre-release on GitHub?

Zdenko Podobny

Oct 7, 2018, 3:18:45 PM10/7/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com, tesser...@googlegroups.com
RC 2 is ready[1].
Please test, test, test. Especially if you are wrapping tesseract and creating/providing packages.
If you have any patch for the current code please provide it ASAP (via pull request or attach patch to issue tracker) for evaluation.
Report problems ASAP in issue tracker, so we can fix it until finale release.

ne 30. 9. 2018 o 19:50 Zdenko Podobny <zde...@gmail.com> napísal(a):

Zdenko Podobny

Oct 14, 2018, 1:49:17 PM10/14/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com, tesser...@googlegroups.com
RC 3 is ready[1].

Please test, test, test.
Especially if you are building tesseract on other platform than linux or windows (cppan+cmake).

If you have any patch for the current code please provide it ASAP (via pull request or attach patch to issue tracker) for evaluation.
Report problems ASAP in issue tracker, so we can fix it until finale release.

ne 7. 10. 2018 o 21:18 Zdenko Podobny <zde...@gmail.com> napísal(a):

Zdenko Podobny

Oct 16, 2018, 3:48:01 AM10/16/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com, tesser...@googlegroups.com
Is here anybody who build&use tesseract on Android?

ne 14. 10. 2018 o 19:48 Zdenko Podobny <zde...@gmail.com> napísal(a):

Zdenko Podobny

Oct 24, 2018, 3:04:23 AM10/24/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com, tesser...@googlegroups.com
RC 4 is ready[1].

I expect this is the last RC. Any improvement to docs and release notes are welcomed.
Report problems ASAP in issue tracker, so we can fix it until finale release.

ne 14. 10. 2018 o 19:48 Zdenko Podobny <zde...@gmail.com> napísal(a):

Stefan Weil

Nov 16, 2018, 12:27:19 PM11/16/18
to tesseract-dev
Now Tesseract 4.0.0 is available since 18 days. Several bug fixes during the last weeks are the reason why I think about a follow up release 4.0.1. As far as I see there were no new commits merged which would require a 4.1.0. From my side the dependency on the "C" locale is still open, but fixing that requires more time and won't be available before December. So maybe 4.0.1 could be released next week?

Stefan W.

Zdenko Podobny

Nov 17, 2018, 4:04:55 AM11/17/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Personally: I have a very limited time for tesseract at the moment and next week will be even worse ;-)

Next: I am not sure if box problem (issue 1192) is solved... I remember some comment from Jeff, that there will the retraining of land data to fix it properly. If this is true that I would wait for it + give some time for testing.  If this will not happen in short term (next 30 days) then I would suggest to release 4.0.1 in mid of December so we can include more fixes (or get more reaction on 4.0)...

Zdenko

pi 16. 11. 2018 o 18:27 'Stefan Weil' via tesseract-dev <tesser...@googlegroups.com> napísal(a):