Raise C++ to C++17 for 5.0.0

Egor Pugin

Jun 23, 2019, 4:32:39 AM6/23/19
to tesseract-dev
Any objections?

Reasons:
- Today it's almost 2019 H2.
- C++20 approaching.
- Compilers are able to build C++17 for 2+ years already.
- 5.0.0 still won't be released tomorrow, but some time in the future.

Pros:
- Not oudated codebase .
- More cleanups.
- More possible internal impovements, std algorithms, maybe std fs.
- etc.

Zdenko Podobny

Jun 23, 2019, 1:45:49 PM6/23/19
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have objections:

1. In recent days there was request to build teseract with VS2015 ;-) which is still common compiler in corporate environment. Also I was in contact with developers that wanted to speedup training with CUDA. When I tried to install CUDA on one of my linux computer, it was quite difficult as it requires specific compiler version (not recent ;-) ) etc...

2. We made first touch with c++17 and it is "just" causing troubles (e.g. [1] ) - problem is that some compilers report support for c++17 (e.g gcc), even they support it only partly... GCC's (which is IMO major compiler of linux distribution) declares that C++17 support is experimental[1]. Require tesseract users to upgrade gcc to the latest version is not wise (I tried it several years ago and it successfully broke my installation heavily, so decided not to touch gcc provided by distribution)

3. I made my try last week[3] enjoin c++17 directory_iterator, any I finished with dirent/opendir on linux. Also I remember there is/was code committed by Stefan, that it worked on linux, but not on windows&clang...

ne 23. 6. 2019 o 10:32 Egor Pugin <egor....@gmail.com> napísal(a):

Egor Pugin

Zdenko Podobny

Jun 24, 2019, 3:57:07 AM6/24/19
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Just to be clear: I am fan of implementing c++17 step by step (at least to see were are problems/ testing compiler support), just do not cut support for user that needs to use older version system.

Zdenko

ne 23. 6. 2019 o 21:50 Egor Pugin <egor....@gmail.com> napísal(a):

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/tesseract-dev.