aws_wafregional_web_acl_association with ALB fails

Lucas Possamai

Mar 12, 2021, 4:18:56 AM3/12/21
to terrafo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm creating an EKS cluster in AWS with an ALB ingress, then, I'm creating some AWS WAF resources and using aws_wafregional_web_acl_association to associate the WAF policies to my Kubernetes ELB.

However, aws_wafregional_web_acl_association fails with the following error:

---

aws_wafregional_web_acl_association.Blacklist_WACL: Creating...

Error: Error creating WAF Regional Web ACL association: WAFInvalidParameterException:
{
  RespMetadata: {
    StatusCode: 400,
    RequestID: "280afc01-d39a-4261-b74d-0087b7ca8bb9"
  },
  Field: "ResourceArn",
  Parameter: "RESOURCE_ARN",
  Reason: "ILLEGAL_ARGUMENT"
}

  on waf_webacl_association.tf line 2, in resource "aws_wafregional_web_acl_association" "Blacklist_WACL":
   2: resource "aws_wafregional_web_acl_association" "AWS_Security_Blog_Blacklist_WACL" {

---

My resource looks like this:
resource "aws_wafregional_web_acl_association" "Blacklist_WACL" {
resource_arn = "${module.find_lb_name.stdout}"
web_acl_id = aws_wafregional_web_acl.Blacklist_WACL.id
}

module.find_lb_name.stdout returns the ELB name. I have also tried the full ELB ARN, same error.
Example of an ELB ARN: arn:aws:elasticloadbalancing:region:accountid:loadbalancer/${module.find_lb_name.stdout}

What am I missing? Thanks in advance!

Chamila

Mar 15, 2021, 6:47:52 AM3/15/21
to terrafo...@googlegroups.com, Lucas Possamai
I haven't worked with WAF, but the documentation [1] seems to refer to
the actual ARN rather than the ALB name. Do you get the ARN of the ALB
out of the find_lb_name module?

https://registry.terraform.io/providers/hashicorp/aws/latest/docs/resources/wafregional_web_acl_association#resource_arn

Regards,
Chamila