Understanding Tech_Exchange

Samuel Dotson

Oct 1, 2021, 4:08:04 PM10/1/21
to Temoa Project
Hi all,

I've recently tried to incorporate energy exchange between regions in a model, based on the example in TemoaProject/oeo. My understanding is the following:
Suppose I have a technology, TRANSMISSION, that moves electricity from Illinois (IL) to Wisconsin (WI).
1) TRANSMISSION must be initialized in the ``tech_exchange`` table.
2) All regional data for TRANSMISSION must have the direction of flow specified by "IL-WI" in the "regions" column.
(e.g. efficiency entry might look like ('IL-WI', 'ELC' 'TRANSMISSION', 2030, 'ELC', 1.0, NULL)).

This seems simple enough to me. However, I ran into two issues. First, when I included only one direction (IL-WI), I got an error that the index for the other direction (WI-IL) couldn't be indexed. The model could not be created. The error message is attached (error_msg1.txt). Second, I added both directions and the model was successfully generated, but once it solved I received a "Division by zero" error in the results formatting.
This error message is attached as well (error_msg2.txt).

I am certain the issue is related to the tech_exchange because the model solved successfully when I removed the exchange entirely (i.e. had two disconnected regions).

Has anyone else run into these errors? The SQL file is attached as well. Am I misunderstanding how the regional exchange system works in Temoa or is there a bug somewhere?

Thanks
Sam Dotson
error_msg1.txt
error_msg2.txt
tech_ex_fail.sql

Temoa Project

Oct 1, 2021, 4:12:23 PM10/1/21
to Temoa Project
Hi Sam,

Thanks for bringing this issue up. It looks like the we were trying to allocate the transmission costs to the two regions even when the transmission flows between them were zero. We've added a quick fix for this, where we first check if the flows are non-zero before doing this allocation.
Could you test and let us know if this works?

Best,
Aranya

Samuel Dotson

Oct 7, 2021, 6:55:15 AM10/7/21
to Temoa Project
Hi Aranya,

Thanks for the quick reply! Your fix resolved the bug -- everything works as expected, now.

Sam

Samuel G. Dotson
Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering 2021
Bachelor of Science in Engineering Physics
Pronouns: he/him/his