Trying to run temoa in a supercomputer

Aaron Belman Martínez

Jan 5, 2023, 8:23:40 AM1/5/23
to Temoa Project
Hello temoa developers!

I have been trying to run temoa on a supercomputer (Niagara SciNet) to perform faster and more simulations of the Open Energy Outlook via parallel optimization. As some of you might already know, working on a server of this type can be highly challenging as one can find multiple solvers incompatibilities and/or restrictions in certain python library versions. Until now, I have been able to solve temoa_utopia on perfect foresight via cplex. However, when trying to perform myopic solving a short yet challenging to troubleshoot error appears (see the txt file with the full error attached at the bottom).

As this error only appears when trying to solve the model myopically, it was expected to trace the error to temoa_myopic.py. However, within that file the error: sqlite3.OperationalError: near ",": syntax error has been difficult properly identify and solve. Any help will be very much appreciated it!

If relevant, I attach the packages and version of the environment I am using. Also, it is important to mention that I am using Python 3.7.4. I am aware that this is not ideal for the latest version of temoa. However, as I mentioned, it is practically unavoidable to change this in the cluster I am using.

Kind regards,
Aaron

Environment.txt
Error.txt

Temoa Project

Jan 5, 2023, 11:28:32 AM1/5/23
to Temoa Project
Hi Aaron,
When you create the temoa-py3 environment from the .yml file, you can typically specify the version of python as well.
See here: for example, conda create -n myenv python=3.7.3

Could you test this approach using version 3.7.3?

Best,
Aranya

Aaron Belman Martínez

Jan 5, 2023, 6:27:16 PM1/5/23
to Temoa Project
Hi Aranya,

I am aware that specific python versions can be installed that way. However, as I mentioned, working in a cluster like Niagara often involves being stuck with specific library versions that are difficult to change, either due to a lack of permissions and/or other software incompatibilities.  In this specific case, I requested Niagara Tech Support to change python 3.7.4 to 3.7.3 in the module I am using. Unfortunately, they mentioned it was not possible at the time and rejected the request.

Nonetheless, as I was able to run the perfect foresight version of utopia even with python 3.7.4, I have the hope that it will be possible using myopic solving. However, I am still stuck with the small error previously mentioned.

Kind regards,
Aaron