Modeling CCS in TEMOA

Daniele Lerede

May 24, 2022, 1:32:28 PM5/24/22
to Temoa Project
Dear all,

Concerning the modeling of CCS in TEMOA, with particular reference to the database US_1R_TS (https://github.com/TemoaProject/oeo/blob/master/US_1R_TS.sql) I am facing some issues in understanding the correct meaning of some values associated to emission activities for technologies involved in the CCS chain. While those associated to electricity /hydrogen production technologies (E_BECCS_N, NG_SMR_CSS, E_NGACC_CCS_N, E_NGACC_CCS_ZERO_N) clearly represent fractions of CO2 emissions avoided per PJ of burnt fuel thanks to CCS, which is the rationale behind the choice of values for CCS_EA_fuel (1.0), CCS_fuel_BLND (1.0), CO2_Capture_fuel  (-1.0) and CO2_Capture_ground (-1.0)?

Thank you,

Daniele

Temoa Project

Jun 22, 2022, 9:53:28 AM6/22/22
to Temoa Project
Hi Daniele,

We use those emissions factors along with the LinkedTech constraint to 'convert' the emissions commodity (co2) into a physical commodity that can be used downstream in the energy system, either as fuel feedstock or to be sequestered. More information on the LinkedTech constraint can be found here.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Aranya