CapacityAnnual_Constraint / EmissionActivity

Davey Elder

May 15, 2023, 2:50:05 PM5/15/23
to Temoa Project
Good afternoon,

Looking through temoa_rules.py, I noticed that CapacityAnnual_Constraint isn't fully implemented, using a CF=1 placeholder (I'm pretty sure I'm on the main branch). Has anyone implemented this constraint in code? It would help a lot to clean up the CapacityFactorTech table.

Secondly, has anyone tried separating emissions by stage of lifecycle (i.e. construction from running emissions)? In the case of post-industrial carbon capture, it seems important to separate these emissions types as, otherwise, CCUS will be capturing uncapturable emissions.

Thanks!
Davey

Katie Jordan

May 16, 2023, 10:19:34 AM5/16/23
to Temoa Project
Hi Davey,

You're right- the CapacityAnnual constraint is not fully implemented in the current version. The team will try to set aside some time in the coming weeks to work on this, but please do let us know if you end up implementing it sooner.

To your second point, Temoa only captures use-phase emissions, not lifecycle emissions (other than in the fuel supply sector, which accounts for upstream fuel processing emissions). So CCUS technologies only capture emissions from combustion, as this is all that we model.

All the best,
Katie