Re: Spelling Bee

1 view

vcjampala

Jun 5, 2002, 11:44:20 AM6/5/02
to racch...@yahoogroups.com
--- In racchabanda@y..., "V. Chowdary Jampala" <cjampala@d...> wrote:
> "J. K. Mohana Rao" <rao@n...> said:
>
> > This year's national spelling bee winner (broadacast on ESPN2)
> > is of Indian origin - Pratyush Buddiga, possibly of Telugu or
Kannada
> > speaking origin. Just for your info. - J K Mohana Rao
>
> బుడ్డిగ సుబ్బరాయన్, well know for his work in Telugu children's
> literature, modern పెద్దబాలశిక్ష and his contributions to
Telugu
> encyclopedia has progeny in US (in the New Jersey area if my memory
serves me
> right).

Pratyush is indeed the grandson of Sri subbaraayan, and the son of
buDDiga jayasimha.

Regards -- V. Chowdary Jampala

From saarada@y... Wed Jun 05 12:17:39 2002
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 18:54:12 -0000
To: racch...@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: braakali molakalu
From: "saarada" <saarada@y...>

--- In racchabanda@y..., "svepachedu" <vepachedu@i...> wrote:

> compounds found in mature broccoli heads.
>
> COMMON NAME: Broccoli, Italian Broccoli, Calabrese, Brocks
> BOTANICAL NAME: Brassica oleracea var italica
> ORIGIN: Mediterranean
>
> COMMON NAME: Cauliflower
> BOTANICAL NAME: Brassica oleracea var botrytis
> ORIGIN: Europe, Mediterranean
>
> COMMON NAME: Brussels sprout
> BOTANICAL NAME: Brassica oleracea var gemmifera
> ORIGIN: Europe, Mediterranean
>
> COMMON NAME: Cabbage (red or green heading)
> BOTANICAL NAME: Brassica oleracea var capitata
> ORIGIN: South Europe
>
> Sreenivasarao Vepachedu
> http://www.vepachedu.com/
> One World One Family

Thanks for brush up in Taxonomy , a long forgotten subject :-)

An old Botany student

Courtesy: http://www.kanneganti.com/

V. Chowdary Jampala

May 31, 2002, 8:04:52 AM5/31/02
to racch...@yahoogroups.com
"V. Chowdary Jampala" <cjampala@d...> said:

> > This year's national spelling bee winner (broadacast on ESPN2)
> > is of Indian origin - Pratyush Buddiga, possibly of Telugu or Kannada
> > speaking origin. Just for your info. - J K Mohana Rao

See http://www.spellingbee.com
and http://www.spellingbee.com/02bios/023.shtml for pictures and a bio.

There appear to be 3 kids with Telugu sounding last names in the final
nine; and several with Telugu sounding last names that won the regionals and
made it to the National competitions. I recall that Srinivas Ayyagari of
Memphis, TN, made it twice to the final three (in 92 and 94).

Regards -- V. Chowdary Jampala

Courtesy: http://www.kanneganti.com/

V. Chowdary Jampala

May 31, 2002, 8:19:16 AM5/31/02
to racch...@yahoogroups.com
"V. Chowdary Jampala" <cjampala@d...> said:

> "V. Chowdary Jampala" <cjampala@d...> said:
>
> > > This year's national spelling bee winner (broadacast on ESPN2)
> > > is of Indian origin - Pratyush Buddiga, possibly of Telugu or Kannada
> > > speaking origin. Just for your info. - J K Mohana Rao

He is of Telugu origin. See below.

Regards -- V. Chowdary Jampala

--
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) ---- For the first time, brothers have placed
first in their grade-level competitions at the Pikes Peak Regional Spelling

Akshay Buddiga, 11, won in the fifth-sixth grade level and
Pratyush, 12, won in the seventh-eighth grade event.

Both boys credit their mom, Rekha, as their biggest supporter and
coach.

"From a very young age, both boys were good with spelling," she
said. "I think we also encouraged them to think that spelling is important."

The two boys, along with the other four top finishers in each
competition, will have the opportunity to compete in the state bee March 16 in
Denver.

Pratyush, a seventh-grader, was the winner over 115 other
competitors in his competition. His winning word was "entrechat," a type of
ballet leap.

Akshay, a sixth-grader, beat out 127 kids for the title of spelling
champion for the fifth and sixth grades. His winning word was "consensus."
"We're glad we both won," Pratyush said.

"We would like to go to state together and will we root for each
other even though we will be competing against each other." Both boys attend
Mountain Ridge Middle School.

English is their second language. Both first spoke Telegu, a
language commonly spoken in southern India.

Courtesy: http://www.kanneganti.com/

V. Chowdary Jampala

May 31, 2002, 8:26:36 AM5/31/02
to racch...@yahoogroups.com
"J. K. Mohana Rao" <rao@n...> said:

> > There appear to be 3 kids with Telugu sounding last names in the final
> > nine;
>

> I remember one, Ramya Tadpatri. - m

Sai Gunturi, eliminated in round 7.
Some of these kids were winners earlier in the Spelling Bee conducted by
North-South Foundation for kids of Indian origin.

Regards -- V. Chowdary Jampala

Courtesy: http://www.kanneganti.com/

J. K. Mohana Rao

V. Chowdary Jampala

May 31, 2002, 7:48:48 AM5/31/02
to racch...@yahoogroups.com
"J. K. Mohana Rao" <rao@n...> said:

> This year's national spelling bee winner (broadacast on ESPN2)
> is of Indian origin - Pratyush Buddiga, possibly of Telugu or Kannada
> speaking origin. Just for your info. - J K Mohana Rao

బుడ్డిగ సుబ్బరాయన్, well know for his work in Telugu children's

literature, modern పెద్దబాలశిక్ష and his contributions to Telugu
encyclopedia has progeny in US (in the New Jersey area if my memory serves me
right).

Regards -- V. Chowdary Jampala

Courtesy: http://www.kanneganti.com/

Akkiraju Bhattiprolu

May 31, 2002, 12:32:32 PM5/31/02
to racch...@yahoogroups.com

> English is their second language. Both first spoke Telegu,a
>language commonly spoken in southern India.

Guess we should invite them to join ra.ba ?????

-Akkiraju

Courtesy: http://www.kanneganti.com/

J. K. Mohana Rao

May 31, 2002, 12:30:42 PM5/31/02