finding deep sky objects with an augmented reality binoculars using your smartphone

Martin Neumann

Feb 3, 2014, 5:59:26 AM2/3/14
to telesco...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

this post is not directly about telescopes but may be interesting nevertheless for all skywatchers.

My name is Martin Neumann, independent inventor from Germany, and I have invented affordable augmented reality binoculars for exploring the night sky. The key point is to use the sensors and display of a smartphone to make it cheap.

Why should someone with a telescope want to use it? I do sky gazing with many different telescopes and binoculars for many years now and still I am fascinated to observe with the naked eye. There a dozens of deep sky objects which can be seen without aid at a dark sky!

universe2go (the name of my invention...) shows you directly the images and positions of the objects on the real sky. Not on a map, but on the REAL SKY. (augmented reality) This helps me to find them with telescope more easily because I know WHAT to find and WHERE to find it. (and I already plan to make a telescope connection, so you can first explore with the binoculars and then automatically guide your telescope to an object of interest to you)

If you find this idea interesting, please check it out at http://universe2go.com

clear skies

Martin