[teler-waf] transitioning to dual license

teler-announce

<teler-announce@googlegroups.com>
Aug 30, 2023, 1:38:40 AM8/30/23
to teler-announce
Dear users,

We want to inform you about an important change in the licensing of the teler-waf package. As part of our commitment to providing a flexible and inclusive environment for the use of our package, we have transitioned from a single license to a dual licensing model.

Starting from version 1.1.3 (v1.1.3), teler-waf is released under a dual license:
  1. Apache License 2.0 (ASL2), and
  2. Elastic License 2.0 (ELv2)
You can continue using the package under the Apache License 2.0. This license offers the freedom to use, modify, and distribute the software, subject to certain conditions. It is designed to encourage open collaboration and contribution.

We are also introducing the Elastic License 2.0, for the main package, teler, as an alternative option. This license grants you the same rights as the Apache License 2.0, but with specific restrictions related to creating cloud, hosted, or managed services, as well as commercial purposes. If you plan to use the main package for these purposes, a commercial license is required. Please note that as of now, the option for obtaining a commercial license is not yet available.

To summarize the new licensing terms:
- You are free to use teler-waf within your organization to protect your applications under both licensing options.
- For general open-source usage, you can choose either the Apache License 2.0 or the Elastic License 2.0 for the main package, teler. You can find the relevant license header in each file.
- If you intend to create cloud, hosted, or managed services, or use the software for commercial purposes, you will require a commercial license.

We greatly value your engagement with our project and encourage you to select the license that best aligns with your needs.

Thanks!
dw1