Power for WE PBX 555

rubey

Dec 29, 2010, 6:22:08 PM12/29/10
to telecom_museum
Hi,

Can anyone help with setting up power for a PBX 555? I have specs but
don't know where to get the power source or hook up.

Ruben

Jerry Biddle

Dec 29, 2010, 7:58:09 PM12/29/10
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
I think you've asked the right person for this question. The 555 PBX is a cord switchboard its sister is the 556 cord board used with automatic switching equipment (dial equipment) when you look at the back you'll find a neg and a post terminals this board works off of 24 Volts DC and the ringing current works off of 90 Volts AC 20 Hz's. If you have a power supply you'll find again the + and - terms remember in telephone work pos is the ground and neg is considered the hot wire. In the USA all telephone exchanges use a pos ground. If you don't have a good power supply contact Fair Radio Sales Company in Lima, Ohio they can sell at a very good price power supplies that can be used on telephone equipment. On the ringing this unit would be called a Sub-Cylce its made by a company called Lorian I believe they might still be into making converters because this is what is happening they are dropping the 120 VAC into 90VAC and from 60Hz to 20Hz this 20 stuff got started long before the two of us were born they started this in the old wooden wall phones called magneto the 20Hz would make the bells ring slower and not hipper as would be the case with 60Hz. Fair Radio might have a subcyle or some thing similar. Use at least number 8 black and red wiring on conneccting this board. You'll have some problems trying to find the 52AW operators head set which is used on this they also used a 53AW total black in color headset which could be used for either handset or headset. Remember the board you're using uses grass hopper fuses they would set off the alarm when blowen by the way. This equipment is hard to find in todays market as you'll find out. Also look on the fuse panel where they seem to have a common larger terminal this might be the area that you're looking for to connect to the 24 Volts DC. If this answers you're questions good if it doesn't then send me some down loaded photos to my emailing up close so I can see the back of the switchboard. If you have any other questions regarding switchboards feel free to ask. I use to have switchboards and 48 Volt DC automatic switching dial equipment all relays I made a government surplus bid at $ 22.00 it came from a VA hospital they went from owning their own to going to the Bell System using Western Electric equipment. Have a good year of 2011 I have a question for you! What are you doing with this switchboard? I had in my life several switchboards the best was a WE 552 manuel board with 3 dial trunk lines used by the military. Remember the lines on these boards do not use a line relay rather a lamp going to one relay connected to one relay for sounding the buzzer or what they call night alarm. Jerry Eugene Biddle, Des Moines, Iowa 50333-4012

Lee Spenadel

Dec 29, 2010, 8:03:19 PM12/29/10
to telecom...@googlegroups.com

It would be helpful if you didn’t make people jump through spam filters to send you supporting documentation.

Lee

Dec 29, 2010, 8:53:11 PM12/29/10
to telecom...@googlegroups.com

Robert Sund

Dec 29, 2010, 9:43:41 PM12/29/10
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
hi, bob sund here. I didn't ask you about the 555 board, although I installed about 3 of them. I am happy to hear from old bell heads at any time. It was interesting about the 20 hz, I always told people it was so guys would't take power supplies home and run thier electric trains with them. Well, write anytime and happy new year.  bob sund
hi, I'm not ruben and I don't have to many spam filters, but nice to hear from my old bell head friends  bob sund,  happy new year.
It would be helpful if you didn’t make people jump through spam filters to send you supporting documentation.

Lee

Can anyone help with setting up power for a PBX 555?  I have specs but
don't know where to get the power source or hook up.

Ruben

Phonefeline

Dec 31, 2010, 2:08:26 PM12/31/10
to telecom_museum
Have you the information you need yet? If not, Lee or I can send you
the punchings (terminal posts) to connect the -24vdc and 20 HZ ac. If
you have not yet obtained a power supply, you might look on eBay for
one. example this one is on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lorain-Key-System-Power-Supply-RT4G-/200525808274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb0450292

some Lorain power supplies are just DC so make sure you see 20 or 30
HZ AC as one output along with "filtered Battery" (-24vdc).

You can also search on eBay for WE or Western Electric Power supply

My favorite is this one on eBay. Has -24/48vdc and 30Hz ringing
supply.

OBTW, you can use either 20HZ or 30Hz ringing supply. For years Bell
used 20 HZ in their switchboards and Key Systems, but later began
using 30 HZ because these supplies were beoming more common and lest
costly to build.

Another note: If you are going to hook your SWBD to your home phone
line, be sure that the (+) connection on the power supplh is connected
to a ground (the large third pin on your electrical outlets ---NOT the
large blade or the small blade!!!) Depending on which trunk modules
you have, some only work "ringing to ground" while the newer version
will ring "bridged" (across the line). IF you are using IP phone
service from COMCAST, U-Verse, VONAGE etc, you may have difficulty
ringing the trunks if you do not have the "bridged ringing" version of
the trunk circuit.

Last point, if you have a 24 volt DC supply and no ringing supply, you
can always ring the extensions by pressing the ring button on the cord
circuit while cranking the ring crank on the right side of the
ieyshelf (if equipped).

Good luck,

Keith Cheshire

Jerry Biddle

Dec 31, 2010, 4:29:48 PM12/31/10
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
Punch down terminal? Wow! Keep in mind these old cord boards were made back in the latter 50's and 60's next thing you'll be saying if the fiber optic is a problem use the proper BNC connector! Please guys give me a break in that time period it was cloth covered wires with the WE color coding and soder Terms. Remember this is an old WE Board connect to the telephone line better check with you're local telephone company because back in those days every thing for the most part was low Impedence and now every thing is hi impedence. Wires in the telephone cable do not like low impedences it has a tendencies to burn them out a short in other words. My question is this do you know once fire-ing up this old board do you know how to work it? Keep in mind when answer a trunk plug it was different then answer the  local plug and too the dial system was connect to the one answering the trunk outside line jack why? Because of two reasons one the other plugs was connected to the what they termed night alarm (buzzer) and too the dial system was connected to this paticular plug which had holding back relays so as to make the dial pulse go in one direction only. Switchboards in those days had night connections also which met the trunk would run into a telephone with out the switchboards power supply being on etc. Also about the 24 VDC stuff again check with Fair Radio Sales Company they sell power supplies. Have a good 2011 by the way. JEB from DSM, IA area

Bill Horne

Jan 6, 2012, 1:42:44 PM1/6/12
to Robert Sund, telecom...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 29 2010, 9:43 pm, Robert Sund <sundial...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It was interesting about the 20 hz, I always told people it
> was so guys would't take power supplies home and run thier
> electric trains with them.

That's an interesting question: I never heard the "Electric Trains"
answer before, but I was taught that the Bell System used 20 Hz
ringing current because the Western Electric ringers were
mechanically resonant at that frequency, and this meant that they
would work over longer distances and/or with thinner wires for that
reason.

Does anyone on the list know if this is true?

Thanks for your input.

Bill

Robert Sund

Jan 9, 2012, 2:10:17 PM1/9/12
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
hi bill, well, at 20 hz it would pull less current and make life a little safer, not to mention that guys wouldn't take them home because they woun't work with anything. interesting about the ringer resounces. bob  sund

Jerry Biddle

Jan 9, 2012, 6:45:13 PM1/9/12
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
I just read you're posting sorry guys! I had the hobby of Telephony for several years, this interest went into the professional recording studio interest latter years. Now, about the 20Hz or as it is stated in those days 20 cyles. Why the 20hz? This got it's start in the eariler days when the telephones were magneto wall hand crank to central office. This type of magneto general came in 3 to 5 horse shoe magnets. The people living feather distances from the old manual switchboard had more magnets in the old wooden wall telephones. Now came a thing called common battery the telephone exchange had storage batteries charged by huge big motors running the dc generators, later years they had rack mounted (19") power supplies one of them was called a Mercury vapor rectifier two of these bulbs giving off a blue color this replaced the motor general ideas. Now the telephone exchanges work off of again rack mounted power supplies they are rated at 52 volts DC but they state that the system is 48 volts DC. They kept the 20 hz rumor has it they have changed this to now 30 hz. In the olden days they had on the key section on the switchboard push keys with different AC frequencies this was used mostly by non Bell System Companies. Bell used an electronic tube with either a break down of + or - they had a semi-large dry cell battery producing 45 volts break down so this paticular ringer and that tube was waiting for either + or - so they could put up to 8 on the same line. Later years the FCC for the most part go rid of this party line idea to having a private line. If you put a # 500 series on the 60 hz it would not give the standard ringing. No the telephone companies didn't fear employess taking that huge sub-cycle AC converter home to work things keep in mind the amps were low. Also you had both the AC 90 Volts and too the 48 VDC on the telephone until one answered the phone. Then the relay at central would stop putting the 90vac on the line.So when you add this up you have128 volts mixed during the ringing. I hope this anwered some ideas which I have never known nor heard before. I'm 70 years old now, worked for Western Electric Company installing direct distance dialing relay type of equipment in those days. Cross bar was to be the big deal Des Moines, Iowa had this on Bell Tel on SW 9th street. They thought this would be the big new deal! Now the telephone system still works on 48 vdc and still has some relays. Smaller patch panels called TT Tiny Telephone bantom patch panels getting more jacks in a smaller space. Again the recording and too the broadcast industry really took on this TT Patch panel jacks and patch cords (the small patch cords).  I hope this has answered several questions on Telephony by the way. Jerry Eugene Biddle from the greater Des Moines, Iowa area

Bruce Porter

Apr 5, 2013, 2:05:02 PM4/5/13
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
I recently picked up a 555 in good shape, and have a power supply & ring generator.
What are the correct posts to apply the DC & AC voltages to?
Thanks!

Jerry Biddle

Apr 5, 2013, 4:38:41 PM4/5/13
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
I received this on my emailing. With out blowing my horn! I was in younger years Mr. Telephony! Several telephone magazines and too the Des Moines Register & Tribune as it was called in those days! Now about you're old PBX Switchboard first off you must be careful! Why? Because in the years of this I believe because of using 555 board it is an Western Electric. In those days the ringing relays, telephone ringers on phones were low impedence! What's the problem? Todays telephone companies use higher impedence! If you put an older telephone or switchboard on the what you could call trunk lines because you're old system is low impedence this could cause an open circuit on the telephone companies cables! And in a liable suit they can be very nasty! Were talking in the neighorhood of upper thousands! So, how do you make the old ringing relay higher imps? You might get a meter which registers imp and resistance. If it shows a low imp's then maybe you could cut one of the wires going to the coil and install a resister the type Radio Shack or any Electronic Supply Store and rize the imp's this might work! If the resister is too high you might have a problem of too weak of current and the relay won't activate! You'll have to by trial see what happens. I can not tell you the standard ohms or imps the telephone companies are wanting on the ringer in todays phone system. You might ask Radio Shack or other who sell phones or call you're local telephone company. I had several switchboards back in the Mother Bell System days one was a Strongburg Carlson. Kellogg (now ITT) and the last was an manual Western Electric 551 with 3 trunks. I always like to watch on TV old mysteries or other movies showing manual switchboards it's still fun to watch the operators with either the brast plate mic and headphone or the newer at the time 52AW headset. Now these switchboards are just a computer screen wheater it being an PBX or Tel-Company switchboard my opinion? Boring! Not fun too look at and way way too much computer now adays! I also used to collect old telegraph equipment after my late mother's death it was given to my state historical bldg. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, they haven't made a display they fear some one would want to steal the old equipment. I had 5 huge boxes louded with this telegraph equipment you name it these boxes which took 3 of us to unload it had it! Numerous different keys, sounders, relays, repeaters, wall peg switchboard, glass jar batteries, insulators (used by both telephone and telegraph poles) ticker tape machine, (fire departments and ADT Security used these also) wall box with sounder and arm to move it closer to the telegraph operator. Railroads used this equipment as was the case with AT&T and Western Union. Soooooooooooo, now you know a little more about another type of eariler communication equipment. Oh by the way in the old telephone companies colored the equipment black and silver! Boring stuff the newer was called WE Gray, Automatic Electric had their version of gray, as did the other phone equipment did. Why gray? Simple two main reasons modern and doesn't look so bad on dust!
Apr 8, 2013, 12:14:28 PM4/8/13
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
I have the power supply you need. if I remember, the 555 board used an old 101B power supply that you couldn't kill. I am at sundi...@yahoo.com or you can call me on 917-385-9105

Apr 8, 2013, 2:12:36 PM4/8/13
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
Did any of you receive my 2cent worth of information? I'm  Jerry Biddle from the greater Des Moines area. Even though I'm not into telephones (Telephony) as I once was many, many years ago! I still like seeing them as indicated in that last emailing I sent to all of you. I'm glad when I was a young teenager I was into telephones. I'll tell you why you might find this interesting! Why? I don't know? In grade school I wasn't the best of readers, those children books boring! So my reading sucked to put it into a slang way! The grade school I was going to no longer a school and too the building is gone! They took a tour at the main Northwestern Bell Telephone Co. Oh boy did this spark a huge interest! The teacher gave a small test later on what we had seen and heard. Yup you guest it! Jerry got a 100% then I went to the Junior High School again no longer there and too the bldg gone. The interest really was growing and my knowledge of telephony was also. This went over into High School yes this bldg is still there! Larger bldg because they have added on to. Newspaper articles on yes me. Now I'm way advanced on both telephony and electronics after graduation from high school I went to a private school in a suburb and took advanced electronics. My reading? I read faster then my mouth could move so it's like flash bang flash! Now I'm older of course telephony all of the old equipment was given to a person who worked with my late father his son. (he the son turned out to be a painter) noooooooooooo, I don't know what his son did with those old switchboards etc. I got interested in old magneto phones by watching a local TV Program had a local guy and he would show old movies cowboy type and on the wall would hang either in the sheriffs office or the people calling out on an old wall phone (magneto type) just had to have one of those old babies! I did for Christmas! My late parents found one at a place selling old things get this! They paid $7.00 dollars for it! It was an old Kellogg type and had a button on the side so if one would make a call (party line deal) they could push this button and still call the operator making that drop fall on the magneto switchboard with out waking every body else up or not having them listening in know that a call is being made etc. Now I'm older and as stated the phones reading and learing things brought in other things. I'm currently buying professional recording equipment the knowledge I received in my numerous studies on telephony can be used on professional recording equipment. Some of you might of remembered long ago you'd see on movies Sound System Western Electric the Bell System had to sell out to Westrix, Altec Lancing and others because they had too much hold in every thing! The recording industry no longer use 600 ohms on the output of the control console, recorders etc. Higher imps this gives the frequency responce a larger path! Think of it like blowing up a balloon flat until you blow into it then it gets larger! For those of you that read my postings thank you. Yes I read you're postings also! You have telephony some people have a weird hobby! They collect old outside warning sirens! And in some states they are alowed to blow the siren from the residence if the weather issues a tornado look this up on the internet. My state wouldn't allow this! The state I live can have tornados 5 in one day or even in an hour! Yes! I have seen them (tornados) my area has mostly EF0 EF1's several years ago they had one down town flipping cars in a rain wapped tornado this would of had to be either an EF2 or EF3 cars weigh alot! Thank you again! Jerry
From: Bruce Porter <b.a.p...@att.net>
To: telecom...@googlegroups.com
Date: Friday, April 5, 2013, 2:05 PM

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "telecom_museum" group.To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to telecom_museu...@googlegroups.com.To post to this group, send email to telecom...@googlegroups.com.Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/telecom_museum?hl=en.For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "telecom_museum" group.To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to telecom_museu...@googlegroups.com.To post to this group, send email to telecom...@googlegroups.com.Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/telecom_museum?hl=en.For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Bruce Porter

Apr 8, 2013, 3:38:13 PM4/8/13
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
I have the board up and running. Thanks for the info on impedance, but I am using a vonage box, not a telco.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "telecom_museum" group.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/telecom_museum?hl=en.

Jerry Biddle

Apr 8, 2013, 8:18:58 PM4/8/13
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
I have read the other postings I believe you might know this already in the bottom postings you state that PBX switchboards used 20Hz for ringing yes this is correct they used a sub-cycle converter for this. The main telephone exchange used 20Hz for ringing also. I have seen older days telephone exchanges and the modern type! The old stuff was more interesting yes, but the newer stuff you can sure do a lot more then the old relay days. Now most is fiber optics even microwave is going out! Microwave at one time with the long distance in telephony was some thing new it had it's draw backs fog too much snow or rain. Those huge big cone reflictors when up on the usually 300ft relay tower look small until you've seen them on the ground! Huge! The telephone companies in general has lost its fun if you please! Today the equipment draws less amps and smaller storage batteries, but the main concern today with the computer type of switching concern is heat so they have inverters changing the 52 volts dc to 120 volts ac. Some telephone companies today if big enough do not have motor-generators rather they have four main cables coming in from 3 other electric companies! I have heard that you have to pay on the average 2 million dollars per month for an electric bill to make it worth their while to install the other 3 cables coming in. No the telephone companies for the most part do not pay $2m per month but the USA Government wants them to have this type of back-up any way! It wouldn't be fair nor right for me to tell who does have this type of services but rest a sure the telephone company isn't one of the big time spenders. Also telephone small exchanges and PBX used a motor-generator working off of the 48 volts dc and the motor generator made 90 volts 20 Hz again I had one of these. I bought it from a company that sells government surplus you might of heard of them: Fair Radio Sales Company Lima Ohio I have been doing business with them when his father was the one running the company I was a young teenager at the time. Also known as Burden Surplus Center Lincoln Nebraska they at one time sold real cheap prices army switchboard it was called a combination this met the board could work common battery telephones at 24 volt dc and magneto drops when a magneto would get done with the telephone call he/she would crank again, this would cause a larger light in the colors of red, white and green with the cord circuits matching this color system. The common battery phones would just hang up and on the cord circuit would be same colors but littler light by the keys. For dialing trunks they had two different jacks above the trunk lines one for plug connection and they had a single plug called a dial plug cord some of them had a break key they would put in the call parties plug then put in the dial single plug dial the number they wanted after the connection was made the dial plug would be pulled out of the dial jack. That 555 556 551 PBX system didn't use this type of primative circuits rather they would put the plug into the trunk jack the one closest to the operator and dial the desired number relay complexed cord system would block the dialing from the operator and the calling party other wise the dialing pulse would go into the cord circuit and it wouldn't beable to dial into the central dial office! When I post all of these old memories of how things were it brings up several memories! Yes I did work for Western Electric did I like it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I became a police officer and then took pre-medical courses but the music has shown more of  my interest! It should! I have had several major record labels interested and too Hollywood seen one of the audition tapes but they are more interested in my physical appearences then the singing (?). Yes I watch American Idol and Americas Got Talent as I'm typing this to you I have The Voice on! Do I like modern so-called music? Answer: Some! Many major and independent record companies have went under this I can understand! This is another story yes I know! Thank you again for sharing memories.
[...]

Jerry Biddle

Apr 8, 2013, 8:30:51 PM4/8/13
to telecom...@googlegroups.com

Jerry Biddle

Apr 8, 2013, 8:30:19 PM4/8/13
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this responce by the way! Bruce read my latest posting you might find it interesting! I'm 71 years old but wait! Don't think I'm an old gray haired looking guy! It isn't this way! Rather I look young enough to be his son or at times grandson. Put my name on the internet and you'll find out why it is this way! Bruce how long have you been interested in telephony by the way I was in the older Telephone Engineer Magazine and too Telephony Magazine many, years ago! Do I still like telephones? To a point! I like seeing those old black/white movies when they show the old telephone switchboards and operators putting in the plugs etc. I'm more into the entertainment industry! Again Bruce read my latest postings. Jerry Biddle USA

On Apr 8, 2013, at 2:12 PM, Jerry Biddle <jebmu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "telecom_museum" group.To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/telecom_museum/tZQEmQ9kjA8/unsubscribe?hl=en.To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to telecom_museu...@googlegroups.com.To post to this group, send email to telecom...@googlegroups.com.Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/telecom_museum?hl=en.For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

rubey

Mar 5, 2016, 3:09:35 PM3/5/16
to telecom_museum
Hi Jerry,

It has been some time since my last post.  I sure do hope you are still around.  I'm still looking to get my 555 up and running.  Since our last communication I got my hands on a power source, 101G.  I can send pictures of the punch down blocks in the back.  I'm not an electrician and I don't know much about telecommunications.  I've just always been fascinated with telecommunications gear and as I quickly approach retirement I want to dive in and learn as much as I can.  I look forward to your response.

From Seattle, WA

Ruben

rubey

Mar 5, 2016, 3:09:35 PM3/5/16
to telecom_museum, sundi...@yahoo.com
Hi Bob,

I'd be interested any help you can provide as I try to get my 555 board up and running.  I can send pics of the punch down board where I thing my 101G would hook up to.

Thanks from Seattle,
Ruben

BRUCE PYLE

Mar 24, 2018, 9:47:17 PM3/24/18
to telecom_museum
i am Looking for a lorain sub cycle ring, talk power/generator

ae_collector

Mar 24, 2018, 9:51:12 PM3/24/18
to telecom_museum
Where are you located? I have a couple of them with ringing generatorcand can probably spare one but shipping cost could be a factor!

Terry

Robert Sund

Mar 25, 2018, 9:14:56 PM3/25/18
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
hello my fellow communateers. I have installed 3 of the 555 pbx board in the late 60's. I have power supples that are 20 cycles, 90 volts generator, 24 filtered and 24 non filtered battery. I need upper coin machine keys for a 233G set, which was the old coin machine. I believe the key was a 29 A key and there was a security key like the old soda machine keys. I am willing to trade or buy. do remember that coin machine used a 685 subset, oh, I am loaded with dead information.

On ‎Saturday‎, ‎March‎ ‎24‎, ‎2018‎ ‎09‎:‎51‎:‎13‎ ‎PM‎ ‎EDT, ae_collector <biddl...@telus.net> wrote:

Where are you located? I have a couple of them with ringing generatorcand can probably spare one but shipping cost could be a factor!

Terry

BRUCE PYLE

Mar 31, 2018, 12:21:28 AM3/31/18
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
My museum was located at my late mothers home, she passed and i kept control of estate, i.e. mortgage, property tax, and utilities and arpund three years afterwards my brother removed my belongings in a very distructive mannor, then placed them in a storage facility he illegally broke into my room and evicted me. others have told me people do things like this morning a passing of someone. i was living on the streets. i moved to wellston oklahoma and purchased land with a  building on it for museum. and had two weld2rs for extra income being im disabled and only receive $721 a month. well in a theft them and other museum exhibits were stolen. i will not give up.i will continue and the museum will be. ive worked and put quite alot into this. im unknowing how to aquire 501c non profit status j hope i can and it really takes alot to not give up. and just sometimes to smile.

BRUCE SP1KE PYLE
SP1KE PRODUCTIONS LIMITED
Cheshire Acres
333111 E SHADY MEADOWS DR
Wellston, Oklahoma. 74991-7101
HERES LINKS TO VIDEOS

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 10:54 AM, 'Robert Sund' via telecom_museum <telecom...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
hello my fellow communateers. I have installed 3 of the 555 pbx board in the late 60's. I have power supples that are 20 cycles, 90 volts generator, 24 filtered and 24 non filtered battery. I need upper coin machine keys for a 233G set, which was the old coin machine. I believe the key was a 29 A key and there was a security key like the old soda machine keys. I am willing to trade or buy. do remember that coin machine used a 685 subset, oh, I am loaded with dead information.

On ‎Saturday‎, ‎March‎ ‎24‎, ‎2018‎ ‎09‎:‎51‎:‎13‎ ‎PM‎ ‎EDT, ae_collector <biddl...@telus.net> wrote:

Where are you located? I have a couple of them with ringing generatorcand can probably spare one but shipping cost could be a factor!

Terry

Mus_PEI

Apr 3, 2018, 8:24:30 PM4/3/18
to telecom_museum
Please forgive me for the slow moderation of messages lately. Google has changed the moderation method, and I am thankful Terry still has that ability.

Mus_PEI

Apr 3, 2018, 10:28:38 PM4/3/18
to telecom_museum

Robert Sund

Apr 3, 2018, 10:30:50 PM4/3/18
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
that board requires 20 vo dc filtered and unfiltered and 90 v generator. pretty simple.i will check to see if I still have 555 board prints. I still 29 A key and security key for pay pone 233 G.

Bill Horne

Nov 23, 2018, 10:41:50 PM11/23/18
to telecom_museum

On Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 9:43:41 PM UTC-5, Robert Sund wrote:
hi, bob sund here. I didn't ask you about the 555 board, although I installed about 3 of them. I am happy to hear from old bell heads at any time. It was interesting about the 20 hz, I always told people it was so guys would't take power supplies home and run thier electric trains with them. Well, write anytime and happy new year.

I was told that the reason for 20 Hz ringing current was that the ringers had been manufactured so that they are mechanically resonant at 20 Hz, and that this allowed for longer loop lengths without requiring range extenders.

Bill