[Telecom_Museum] Rust Removal from Museum Items

Mus_PEI

May 20, 2010, 6:38:14 PM5/20/10
to telecom_museum
Hi All:

I have been experimenting with rust removal. Often, we will get items
for our collections and museums which have a rust problem.

The other day, I wound up with this problem with a Teletypesetter I am
fixing up for display. While the main unit was in pretty good shape,
and should be repairable, the paper punch itself was not! It was a
pretty solid mass of rust. I thought that would be the end of the
project. But, I didn't give up.

I started researching rust removers, and particularly liked one as it
was non-toxic, non-acid based, environmentally friendly, and wouldn't
also attack the good metal along with the rust. I didn't want any more
material etched off the various levers in the punch than the rust had
already taken.

I have made up a page on my Ham Radio site which describes the
project, and which has Photos of the punch, before, during, and after
the process:

http://www.qsl.net/vy2ac/rust.html

An outstanding success!

Dave