Shelter Island Museum of T & T

Arthur P. Bloom

Aug 24, 2010, 11:03:55 PM8/24/10
to telecom_museum
After a long period of dormancy, due to a long period of insolvency, I
am happy to announce that work has resumed on the ShITCo Museum and
Central Office, part of the world wide C*NET system.

The room is 12' by 22' approx. Plywood walls, painted museum white,
all around, so that shelves and station equipment can be easily
installed and displayed thereupon.

A new hung ceiling was installed last week. It started out as an
intimidating job, but turned out to be "as easy as a piece of pie" as
a friend from the Republic of Georgia says. Track lighting was
installed Saturday. A 12 foot track was a dumpster find, and the low V
high intensity lamp fixtures were a gift from a friend.

Home Despot had enough CVT (composition vinyl tiles) on clearance,
left over from a special order, to pave the floor, at just $0.35 per
square foot, plus labor. The labor was a barter with a contractor for
whom I had done an emergency buried cable repair.

Today, the WE miscellaneous relay rack (MRR) and the 200-line 711B PBX
switch frame were jockeyed into place and bolted through the tiles to
the concrete floor.

Now the fun will begin. The MRR was destroyed during delivery by the
ESTES trucking company, so many parts need to be replaced and wired-
in.

The line frame has considerable damage to the L/CO relay groups and
selector shelf, but a few fellow collectors have promised to visit
this fall to get the whole thing repaired and rewired.

I am so excited.

Arthur P. Bloom, Curator and Chief Rodent Mitigation Officer

Jerry Biddle

Aug 25, 2010, 5:46:32 AM8/25/10
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
Because of my past interest in telephony I understood every thing you told me in this email. By the way thank you for sending me this email. As to the modern telephone equipment I like it because of the numerous things one can do with it keeping in mind it is mostly computer and too low amps still working off of 48 VDC but smaller Central Office batteries because relays as you know took a lot of amps. I found the older equipment especially cord switchboards so cute if you please it had style and a story. From this they went to the console as it was called but it's life style didn't last that long compared to the older cord switchboards. Now the operators use a regular computer and a smaller headset. Of all the headsets I liked the 52AW it was a better thing then the older breast headset with a headphone. As to the open wire stuff again it has a history and was not cute but fun looking. The Bell System thought the cross/bar system was the greatest thing again using a lot of amps. I have seen the modern systems still rack mounted more using the 23 in racks but still having some 19 in racks. I don't know if you knew this or not but Western Electric was responsible for the eariler recording and radio and motion picture sound system. Tube type of equipment. Today they have so many companies making recording equipment and it's sound is much better. WE was into that 600 ohm stuff now they use 50 ohms feed into 10k its like blowing into a balloon the low going into it and the balloon being huge. Thus they get a better frequency responce. I'm into recording equipment but I'm glad I had an interest in once telephony it help me understand recording equipment more and related equipment. Today the Bell System if that's what you want to call it doesn't have the charm as it did once have this is true with other things like the fire departments and in some cases police departments. I was at one time a marshal and then a regular police officer. I wouldn't want to be a policeman today because peoples attitudes are kill the police officer first and ask questions later I don't think they even ask questions! As to the telephones having dial instead of push button pulse I like the pulse but again the dial had a story. The old magneto telephones really had a story to tell along with old telegraph equipment I had a huge collection and after my late mother's death gave it to the Iowa History Building in Des Moines, they never did put it on display. I had five huge boxes of stuff, keys, relays, repeaters, glass storage battery, ticker tape unit, peg switchboard and that arm with the little box which held the smaller sounder and the guy could move it towards him, etc. In case you didn't know they never had a set standard of batteries like the telephone rather they kept putting on batteries until the sounder worked the way they wanted it too. Sounders came in at least two sizes small and a jumbo as they called it. Again I had a collection of all of this. I got some of the keys and sounders from Fair Radio Sales Company in Lima Ohio and the other an broker who sold it to me from a former History Center Building that went out of business. Between telephone equipment and telegraph if asked I liked both they both have a history to tell and was our forefathers time period which has rich memories. Jerry Biddle from Des Moines, Iowa area.

Robert Sund

Aug 27, 2010, 9:20:05 AM8/27/10
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
Well Jerry, I thank you for an interesting letter. I actually know what you are talking about. I worked in manhattan from 1964 to 1995. I worked on  just about everything there was. What I loved about my job was I never knew what I would work on the next day. Hope to have time and come visit you. Can I come by boat? So I end by wishing you blue birds.  Bob Sund