New Member

Arthur P. Bloom

Aug 9, 2008, 11:33:37 PM8/9/08
to telecom_museum
Ahoy!

I am introducing myself and the Shelter Island Telephone Company.

I am a member of ATCA (number 1783) and I am a retired 30-year
employee of the Bell System. I worked on a step-by-step PBX that had
6000 extensions, 8000 1A2 key telephone stations, and several hundred
trunks. It was demolished in 1989. I have worked on all the other
types of WE PBX switching equipment.

I am setting up a working display in a new 22' by 20' facility going
up on my residential property that will encompass a 200-line
(Strowger) Model 701B PBX (ex-AT&T) and a few interesting manual PBX's
and some 1A2 key system equipment.

My system will be a class 5 office on CNet. (see www.ckts.info) CNet
subscribers will have access to our PBX via inward trunks from a
tandem Asterisk PBX, and outbound traffic will be available to any PBX
extension by dialling "9" and a CNet number.

A group of PBX extensions will provide intercommunications for the
right-of-way telephones of the Hampton & Amagansett Rail Road, my O-
gauge model train layout, in an adjoining building on the property.
Another group of extensions will serve the offices of the Shelter
Island Bridge & Tunnel Authority. Please see www.SIBTA.com, and the
following explanation of our operation, as reported in the New Yorker
magazine: http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/05/22/060522ta_talk_collins2

I'm not sure if the local zoning board would agree that a museum is a
permitted use, but let's just not tell them, OK? You all are welcome
to visit the switch room and the train room, with advance notice to
the curator. Donations are greatly appreciated to defray the cost of
my expensive tastes in the luxuries of retired life: potatoes, soap,
and toilet paper.

I think this Forum will be a great resource both for curators, wanna-
be-curators, and the visiting public. I applaud the efforts made so
far by the originators and moderators.

Sincerely,

Arthur P. Bloom

Wayne Merit

Aug 10, 2008, 8:51:18 AM8/10/08
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
Rats...  now there will be competition for the pink stuff.
HH

Mike Neale

Aug 10, 2008, 8:21:31 AM8/10/08
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
Welcome aboard, Arthur....  this salad errr list has more or less the same collection of telephone nuts and gongs in it as TCI/ATCA lists do, just not so many radicals and all with the purpose of preserving the telephone past for the future.

Kellogg Mike

Wayne Merit

Aug 10, 2008, 10:08:21 AM8/10/08
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
seriously, you can set this up as a non profit if you haven't already.  Then you can write off lots of stuff including show trips.
HH

Arthur P. Bloom

Aug 10, 2008, 11:09:13 PM8/10/08
to telecom_museum
Yes, yes, I want to evade...er...avoid taxes. Pray tell me how to do
this non-profit scam...er scheme. Is the JKL set up that way?

APB

On Aug 10, 10:08 am, "Wayne Merit" <handyhow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> seriously, you can set this up as a non profit if you haven't already.  Then
> you can write off lots of stuff including show trips.
> HH
>
> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Arthur P. Bloom <i...@m35products.com>wrote:
>

> > Ahoy!
>
> > I am introducing myself and the Shelter Island Telephone Company.
>
> > I am a member of ATCA (number 1783) and I am a retired 30-year
> > employee of the Bell System. I worked on a step-by-step PBX that had
> > 6000 extensions, 8000 1A2 key telephone stations, and several hundred
> > trunks. It was demolished in 1989.  I have worked on all the other
> > types of WE PBX switching equipment.
>
> > I am setting up a working display in a new 22' by 20' facility going
> > up on my residential property that will encompass a 200-line
> > (Strowger) Model 701B PBX (ex-AT&T) and a few interesting manual PBX's
> > and some 1A2 key system equipment.
>
> > My system will be a class 5 office on CNet. (seewww.ckts.info)  CNet
> > subscribers will have access to our PBX via inward trunks from a
> > tandem Asterisk PBX, and outbound traffic will be available to any PBX
> > extension by dialling "9" and a CNet number.
>
> > A group of PBX extensions will provide intercommunications for the
> > right-of-way telephones of the Hampton & Amagansett Rail Road, my O-
> > gauge model train layout, in an adjoining building on the property.
> > Another group of extensions will serve the offices of the Shelter
> > Island Bridge & Tunnel Authority. Please seewww.SIBTA.com, and the
> > following explanation of our operation, as reported in the New Yorker
> > magazine:
> >http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/05/22/060522ta_talk_collins2
>
> > I'm not sure if the local zoning board would agree that a museum is a
> > permitted use, but let's just not tell them, OK?  You all are welcome
> > to visit the switch room and the train room, with advance notice to
> > the curator.  Donations are greatly appreciated to defray the cost of
> > my expensive tastes in the luxuries of retired life: potatoes, soap,
> > and toilet paper.
>
> > I think this Forum will be a great resource both for curators, wanna-
> > be-curators, and the visiting public. I applaud the efforts made so
> > far by the originators and moderators.
>
> > Sincerely,
>
> > Arthur P. Bloom- Hide quoted text -

Wayne Merit

Aug 11, 2008, 11:20:46 AM8/11/08
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
There is an IRS category, can't remember the number.  But John will know...  I'll ask and let you know.
I'm on the BOD of the JKL Museum, so I write off any telephone related travel I do.
The expenses for the Lyons show?  Write off...
HH

Wayne Merit

Aug 12, 2008, 10:35:41 PM8/12/08
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
According to John, you want to be a 501C3 (per the IRS) non profit.
HH