Summerside, PEI 1950 Strowger Exchange Parts Found. Demo on the Way!

Mus_PEI

Apr 8, 2012, 1:36:16 AM4/8/12
to telecom_museum
A week ago, I received a phone call from one of the gentlemen who used
to do the care and feeding of the 1950 ATM U.K. Strowger Switch which
was installed in Summerside, PEI's first Automatic Switch. He was also
present when the exchange was cut over to a DMS-100 in 1988, at which
point he saved 2 NOS spare first selectors (line-finders), two second
selectors, and one unusual 10 part line final selector (Connector)

This past Monday, he and another employee of Island Tel who helped in
the cut-over visited, and dropped these off for the museum..

It is my intent to use these switches to make a demonstrator of the
Summerside switches for the Museum. I have spent the past week
locating parts which will be needed for the demo.

So far, I have located a Telabs ring generator, a 48 volt 7 amp power
supply, Fuse and alarm block, strip of l/co relays, Interruptor,
banks, bank hangers, spare points (wipers), etcetera, and onc these
all arrive, can begin constructing a frame.

What I haven't found are are vertical marking banks in UK terms
(vertical commutators in ours), I need only one for the line-finder,
but they appear to be scarcer than hen's teeth. Equally rare is a
small dial tone generator such as the Lorain solid state generator I
use on my North American Strowger demo.

If any of you know a source for these, I could sure use your help!

Dave