Déjà vu for me.
For the love of God, I cannot find any real reason why this is thought to be the Holy Grail which will rescue the LDIs.
I predict that:
1. Several people will become phenomenally rich since the space has been created for the grey market operators.
2. The LDIs, specially PTCL will cut special deals with low prices in ‘top secret’ contracts
3. Call rerouting and number masking/substitution will become a fine art once again
4. Because of this, the whole process will become controversial and collapse within the next few months and we will revert back to the current low termination rate scheme.
5. The international inbound calls will show a higher incidence of masked numbers (missing+ or 00 prefix, etc)
6. Quality of calls of inbound calls specially from the US will become terrible (cellular terminations) as most inbound terminations will come in via low cost grey market – biggest culprits will be the biggest carriers (AT&T, Bell Canada, etc)
7. The mobile operators with integrated LDIs will be happy for obvious reasons and may perhaps be the only ones to gain. Before they start screaming foul, let me suggest a small truth test:
a. The inbound international calls have shifted to 85% cellular
b. The CLI on these calls (appearing your handsets) should show an international CLI every time. In two detailed researches I have done, 95% of all incoming international calls (most operators) do not show an international origin. The conclusions are too complicated and controversial for me to articulate here.
However, I hope that I am proved totally wrong and the net result is:
8. The difference between what the LDI retains and the 10 cents should go as APC to PTA (all cellular international inbound traffic) . From the current calling traffic patterns, if the PTA revenues from this source jumps by approximately US$ 15-25 Million additional per month, this system is working and the premise for the decision was valid. I can then finally retire and all this moolah can then be used for USF purposes.
9. The LDIs will become healthy babies again
10. The WLL business will flourish immeasurably and local loops will come into fashion again.
Also, if this persists, new business opportunities present themselves e.g. LDIs setting up Call Back operations. A simple back of the envelope calculation shows for a reasonably good LDI a revenue stream of over US$ 2-5 M/month with cards and sales over the net. Please take this as a tongue in cheek semi-serious comment!
Let’s see how this drama unfolds: a Greek tragedy, Alice in Wonderland or finally sense of maturity in the industry!
We have heard the same kind of information of rates being finalized at 7-7.5 minutes which we solidly presume is a bluff on the part of the interested operators . We stand by TELECAED LDI , wholly !
Maj Gen Alavi®
From: Azmat Ali [mailto:azma...@TeleCard.com.pk]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 4:57 PM
To: 'Shahzad Ahmad'; saif_...@eworld.net.pk; re...@supertec.com; 'Altamash Kamal'; 'M. Shafiq-ur-Rahman'; wa...@dsl.net.pk; 'Salman Ansari'; 'Shahid Farooq Alvi'; 'Amer Shafique'; 'Syed N Ghazi'; 'Luqman Kamil'; oper...@dsl.net.pk; aka...@burraqtel.com.pk; a.jmal...@cttelecom.net; shahid...@cttelecom.net; muk...@dvcompk.co.m; as...@gt.com.pk; you...@pakfon.com; ren...@multinet.com.pk; peter...@redtone.com; 'Maj Gen (Rtd.) Faisal Alavi'; 'Wajahat'; george...@redtone.com.pk; 'Jamshed Masood'; 'Muhammad Ali Qazi'; Kas...@dvcompk.com; 'Shahid Firoz'; 'Shahid Naeem Butt'; 'BRIG SALEEM'; asif...@waridtel.com; 'Adnan Asdar'; 'Kamil Khan'; r...@multinet.com.pk; 'Amjad Farooq Alvi'; b...@worldcall.net.pk; s...@worldcall.net.pk; affan...@telenor.com.pk; s...@worldcall.net.pk; mem...@ispak.com.pk; 'Usman .'; 'Dr. Irfan zafar'; a...@xiber.com; 'Yusuf Hussain'; 'Talib Baloch'; ar...@pseb.org.p.k; ak...@alt-source.com; owais...@arwentech.com; umar....@amzaccess.com; tan...@securevoicelink.com; msh...@securevoicelink.com; ha...@gnsp.k.com; na...@teleglobalservices.com; wa...@wwrpl.com; sa...@braintreegrp.c.om; at...@gem.net.pk; nasse...@resgrp.com; muneer....@waridtel.co.m; jhu...@nba.com.pk; asim....@resgrp.com; mas...@c-3ltd.com; mzi...@x.yper2go.com; man...@ites.com.pk; ab...@phonecast.tv; d...@cyber.net.pk; f.e...@callcentral.biz; na...@kontactltd.com; irfan...@hotmail.com; far...@amzt.com; far...@amzt.com; far...@fazail.com; farrkuh...@dewangro.up.com.pk; wma...@touchstone.com.pk; adnan....@crestelltd.com; adnan...@irinainteractive.com; 'Ansar'; 'Awais Leghari'; 'Noor-ud-Din Baqai MMember Telecom''; 'Farrakh Qayyum'; kha...@brain.net.pk; fas...@tou.chstonebpo.com; 'Rashid Khan'; 'Director Telecom Mushtaq Ahmed Bhatti'; pakistan...@yahoogroups.com; is...@ispak.net.pk; zafari...@yahoo.com; telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Cc: Aamir Niazi; 'Shahid Firoz'; 'Taimur Khattak'
Subject: The 10 Cent Rate Charade!!!
TO THE LDI COMMUNITY:
Firstly, on behalf of TELECARD LDI, I would like to confirm to the entire industry that we have notified ALL our partner operators, without exception, of the new rates becoming effective May 01, 2008 ranging between USD 0.0980 and USD 0.1100, based on our current relationship with them.
However, within a few hours, I was being advised by the international partners that at those rates Telecard will lose their ENTIRE share of the business as they already had offers ranging between 7.5 cents per minute to even as low as 6.0 cents per minute.
While this was fully expected from the newly rejuvenated and excited GREY OPERATORS, it is being “confirmed” that legitimate LDI OPERATORS are already discussing [and in some cases finalizing] these kind of rates with their international partner operators.
I would request all the industry partners to individually reaffirm to the rest of the community that the new rates within the permissible range, have already been conveyed to all their partners.
I cannot stress how critical it is for all of us to stay aligned against such unethical and aggressive behavior of our international operators to break the tariff even before it becomes effective.
I am keen to hear back from all the operators with regards to their feedback on this critical matter.
Syed Azmat Ali
Deputy General Manager
Interconnects & Inter-Operator Settlements
World Trade Center, 10, Khayaban-e-Roomi,
Clifton, Block 5, Karachi, Pakistan
Contact # 92 21 825 0400
If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. Bishop Desmond Tutu
I belive Fawad here works in the Ministry of Telecom and IT.
I have a FEELING that once these rates are up, the next hit we will see is the rates back
OUT from usa will also increase, as we are seeing here a cartel being formed and once that
happens, and govt does not break it, they can do what they want to do.
Heads up to Salman Ansari for being able to speak out, he has been the only one in this 400
people TELECOM GURU list to say anything, honestly I am very disappointed about this
> Dear All,
> The APC is 5 Cent + 5 Cents for LDI. This seems quite simple calculation. Settlement rate
> formula is also simple. Just like a mathematical way to sum things up. This is the perspective of
> an ideal industry withself-regulation and responsible players.
Rehan Ahmed AllahWala
http://www.supertec.com/ - Internet Telephony Solutions
Http://www.DIDX.net - DID Number Market Place.
Don't Remember Me ? Visit http://www.Rehan.com
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Gandhi