Telecom-Cities: The End is Nigh!

Anthony Townsend

Jun 5, 2007, 5:23:55 PM6/5/07
to telecom-cities
I'm going to let this list live in case people don't want it to die, but I won't be posting here anymore...

As I announced earlier this year, I'm migrating and evolving TELECOM-CITIES to a community web 2.0 (hell let's call it 2.1) site at http://cities.iftf.net called "The Future of Cities"

The goal is to open up and broaden the discussion and create the web's first true site on global urban futures.

Read a longer discussion of why I'm doing this here - http://cities.iftf.net/node/2

Or just go here and register - http://cities.iftf.net/user/register

Any questions - find me at the coordinates below...

Anthony Townsend
Research Director
Institute for the Future
+1-650-233-9522 (desk and mobile)
aim/skype/twitter/dopplr anthonymobile

Miles Fidelman

Jun 5, 2007, 8:54:14 PM6/5/07
to atow...@iftf.org, telecom-cities
Anthony Townsend wrote:
> I'm going to let this list live in case people don't want it to die,
> but I won't be posting here anymore...
>
> As I announced earlier this year, I'm migrating and evolving
> TELECOM-CITIES to a community web 2.0 (hell let's call it 2.1) site at
> http://cities.iftf.net called "The Future of Cities"
>
> The goal is to open up and broaden the discussion and create the web's
> first true site on global urban futures.
>
> Read a longer discussion of why I'm doing this here -
> http://cities.iftf.net/node/2
>
> Or just go here and register - http://cities.iftf.net/user/register

I guess I have to say that I'm disappointed. I've always been a fan of
email lists, and dislike web-based vehicles, be they forums or blogs,
for several reasons:

1. I'm far more likely to read messages that come to me (i.e., email)
than things I have to remember to go to (e.g., web sites). And no, RSS
is not the same as email. Forums/blogs that can be configured to send
emails when new items are posted are a reasonable middle ground - at
least they remind you to come look.

2. Blogs are nowhere near as democratic as email lists - on a discussion
list, all are peers, while on a blog, the bloggers are standing on a
soapbox with everyone else as kibbitzers.

3. By and large, as both a participant and as an organizer, I've found
lists a much more effective tool for building and maintaining a community.

Sorry to say, I'm probably going to completely forget that the new site
exists.

Miles Fidelman

Victor Ferreira

Jun 5, 2007, 9:56:56 PM6/5/07
to telecom...@googlegroups.com
I have to agree... i rarely remember or have time to go to sites for
news... the mailing list come in regularly and help me keep informed. I
Like the format that has the topics and if you are interested you follow
the link. This help me keep an eye in things that interest me but that
aren't my "core" business... Maybe if that is implemented in the site? I
still don't use rss regularly.
Anyway the site could help create other type of interactions...
multimedia (different ways of communication?) is a good way to reach to
different people with different tastes and habits.

Victor Ferreira

Anthony Townsend

Jun 6, 2007, 9:12:12 AM6/6/07
to telecom-cities
On Jun 6, 2007, at 5:54 AM, Adam Holt wrote:

I guess I have to say that I'm disappointed.  I've always been a fan of

email lists, and dislike web-based vehicles, be they forums or blogs,

for several reasons:

1. I'm far more likely to read messages that come to me (i.e., email)

than things I have to remember to go to (e.g., web sites).  And no, RSS

is not the same as email.  Forums/blogs that can be configured to send

emails when new items are posted are a reasonable middle ground - at

least they remind you to come look.

Squeet, Feedburner, Rmail, numerous other services will pump RSS feeds to you by email. I'll see if I can add some links to the new site to streamline the process.

2. Blogs are nowhere near as democratic as email lists - on a discussion

list, all are peers, while on a blog, the bloggers are standing on a

soapbox with everyone else as kibbitzers.

The list has operated this way for a long time already, with a serious long tail in terms of contributions.

3. By and large, as both a participant and as an organizer, I've found

lists a much more effective tool for building and maintaining a community.

Not me... this list is dying on the vine. It's served its purpose, but I'm no longer going to steer the helm on what has become one of the Internet's ghost ships.

Sorry to say, I'm probably going to completely forget that the new site

exists.

Miles Fidelman

Sorry to hear that.