what is this REBOL thing

xander

May 6, 2006, 9:20:43 PM5/6/06
to Teen Programming
i'm just starting in quick basic and i want to know what REBOL is.
i've figered out that it is an easy beginner lang. but have never heard
of it before.Are there any good websites for it?
and does anyone know what the easyest basic is because i'm getting the
inpression that my quick basic is old technolegy?

;-)
(ale)xander

James

May 6, 2006, 9:37:27 PM5/6/06
to Teen Programming
Hello Xander, and welcome to the group.

REBOL is an object-oriented programming language. Yes, it could be
considered "easy" compared to other languages, and it has a shallow
learning curve, but it has enormous depth and power underneath.

Some good links are these:
http://www.rebol.com (Main site, with a lot of documentation)
http://www.rebol.org (script library)
http://www.rebol.net/cgi-bin/blog.r (Carl Sassenrath's [REBOL's
designer] blog)
http://www.reboltalk.com (Forums)
http://www.rebol.net/links.html (Complete list of "Rebsites")
http://groups.google.com/group/Rebol (REBOL Google Group)

There is also a mailing list your can subscribe to. Right in this
group, Gregg is a great person to ask about REBOL stuff. I have
somewhat limited knowledge myself, but he specializes in it.

HTH!
-- James

Gregg Irwin

May 7, 2006, 2:47:50 PM5/7/06
to xander
Hi Xander,

I started in QuickBASIC myself, and use many BASICs for a long time.
Now I specialize in REBOL.

If you're just starting out, REBOL is a great first language (IMO). If
you know other languages, you have to forget how they work (somewhat),
because REBOL is quite different.

It's small, easy to install, has a built-in GUI system in the View
version, and is cross-platform, including a browser plug-in version
for Windows.

Check out the sites James mentioned and play around in the REBOL
console to get a feel for things. The HELP function is your friend.

Happy REBOLing!

--Gregg

xander

May 8, 2006, 1:58:40 AM5/8/06
to Teen Programming
is it free?
and what other languages do you

Your both legends

thanks

(ale)xander

;-)

James

May 8, 2006, 9:55:00 AM5/8/06
to Teen Programming
Xander,

Yes, REBOL is available for free. There is also REBOL/Command and a
lisenced SDK that costs, but you can download just about any other
version for free.

As for me, I mostly use REBOL. I do some HTML stuff, and I'm messing
around with PlayBasic, but REBOL is my thing.

I'm glad we could be of assistance.

-- James

Gregg Irwin

May 9, 2006, 10:41:57 PM5/9/06
to xander
Hi Xander,

x> ...and what other languages do you [use]

I've used a number of languages (I'm old :), but spent most of my time
with BASIC dialects. I started with QuickBASIC, spent 11 years (or so)
using VB, and then moved to REBOL (.NET drove me away). I've also used
C, Delphi/Pascal, C#, PHP, SQL, a number of BASICs (still use
PowerBASIC to write DLLs), and tinkered with, or studied, about a
dozen other languages (Lisp, Logo, Perl, Python, Ruby, Jorf, AWK,
Euphoria, Eiffel, and more).

--Gregg