June 03, 2019 tedana newsletter

tedana-newsletter

Jan 18, 2024, 11:05:01 AMJan 18
to tedana-newsletter
Ported message from our previous tinyletter.com system:

tedana monthly(ish) newsletter

Dear contributors and users,

tedana is starting a monthly(ish) newsletter (subscribe here) to keep the community abreast of our activities and projects. In particular, we hope to keep users informed of new features or features that risk breaking workflows, and we hope to keep contributors aware of projects where their help would be welcomed. We will send out additional short newsletters when releases are published so that users will know they can retrieve them on pip.

We would love to hear your feedback on this newsletter. It is the first of its kind and our goal is to use it to provide interesting and useful updates on tedana. You can chat with the team in our Gitter channel here or email this month's editor, Joshua Teves, at x

Thank you, and enjoy!

The tedana development team

OHBM Poster and Hackathon

Several developers will be presenting the tedana project at the Organization for Human Brain Mapping annual meeting. We'll be at our poster (number M841) on Monday 10 June at 12:45pm. Our software demo is on Thursday 13 June at 12:45pm.

Please let us know what you think we should cover on GitHub #256 Your input is valuable to us!

Taylor Salo will also be running a tedana project at the OHBM hackathon over 6-8 June. We're excited to see you there!

Google Summer of Code Student

We are pleased to announce that we are participating in this summer's Google Summer of Code. Our student Monica Yao started on 27 May. She will be focusing on adding tests to the codebase so that we can modify the code knowing that errors will be caught automatically. You can read her introduction blog here.

Help!

Don't be shy! We would love to have your input on tedana's development. In fact, we need it!

If you want to help but don't know how, please read our Code of Conduct and then come say hello on Gitter. We will find you something you can help with based on your interests. You do not have to know how to code in order to help with documentation, issue management, and a variety of other useful tasks.

If you're already active, we'd also be interested in having more people help review changes to the project. This is instrumental in producing high quality code for open source projects. Don't be afraid! Any review (which complies with our code of conduct) is helpful. We'll gladly step you through the process.

Issue Management

We have been organizing issues quite a bit lately, and we encourage you to file issues when you have bugs or come participate in discussions about enhancements and future directions.

To look at our open issues, you can click here.

Merged Changes

These changes are since the 0.0.7 pip release on 23 April 2019.

Documentation Changes

- Touchups on conda environment and help text (Joshua Teves)
- Added paused label; see here (Joshua Teves)
- Multi-echo acquisition guidance and external references; see here (Dan Handwerker)
- Visual Report usage and explanation; see here (Logan Dowdle)

Functionality Changes

- --manacc revamped to allow for Python list insertion and re-runs (Taylor Salo)
- component tables now sorted by variance explained prior to outlier removal (Taylor Salo)
- adds early escape from ICA decision making if no BOLD components found (Taylor Salo)

Refactoring

- ICA and PCA are now in their own module (Taylor Salo)
- component selection modularized; allows for new algorithms (Taylor Salo)
- moved several functions into a new stats module (Taylor Salo)

Thank you to Josh, Dan, Logan and Taylor for your excellent work!