Friction Belt Help and other info on a newly acquired bike

Joe S

Feb 7, 2012, 2:59:02 AM2/7/12
to Tectrix VR
I just bought a VR Bike at goodwill and got it home tonight. It's in
relatively rough shape, but the really critical things (like the
coprocessor board) seem to be working so far. However,the rubber
leader (between the kevlar and the motor) on the friction belt is
completely gone (reduced to rubber crumbles). Is there anything
special about this piece rubber that would prevent me from just
substitutine a piece of belt of similar size? How long is it? How
stretchy is it?

I am excited to get this thing running. However, before I drop too
much into it, does anyone know what these are going for these days.
It doesn't make sense to spend $500 fixing this if I could get a
working one for $200

Other than the tension belt, the other things wrong so far are:
1) cdrom is shot -- I should be able to replace that easily
2) Steering cable is off the pully - I haven't opened the covers
enough to see if anything is broken or if it just needs to be re-
routed
3)No cd -- already downloaded the image from tulrich.com (thanks!),
haven't burned it yet
4) Tilt -- not sure if this is a problem, but when I tilt one way the
B bar is solid on the test screen, A is blank, when I tilt the other
way A and B are both solid
5) Fan doesn't spin -- there is a high pitched whine when I turn it up
and it twiches a little. I hope that means the fan is out and not
the controller. Anyone know of a source for replacement fans?

Things that work:
1) Monitor is good
2) Motherboard and co-processor seem to work, at least enough to bring
up the test screen up
3) Tension sensor registers and the motor turns when I pull on the
tension belt
4) RPM Sensor works
5) All the buttons seem to work
6) Sound works -- at least it beeps when I press buttons
7) Drive belt looks great

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe