Rapid Prototyping

Santosh Dawara

Jun 15, 2011, 11:49:39 PM6/15/11
to techweekend
Hi All,

I have come to hate prototyping tools that promise you visuals, and I
have tried a lot of them.

I now feel that the best way to do this is to take loosely coupled
toolkits and build out concepts in 1 to 2 days to allow an audience to
"try", "imagine" and buy-in (open for debate).

In fact, if I can use a simple data-store / Ruby / JS / CSS / HTML to
get something less than a website, but represent a new concept
completely in the real world, I think that's great and Internet
founders ought to have that skill.

Thoughts?

Best Regards,
Santosh

Gautam Rege

Jun 16, 2011, 1:36:56 AM6/16/11
to techw...@googlegroups.com
Santosh,
 I agree with what you are saying - 'Ship it' should be the slogan when you want to validate a concept.
Also really good to hear that you mentioning Ruby - way to go! :)

It depends on the concept -- so I am not always opposed to visuals. There is a huge drive to move to the 'one-window web page' concept - use Json API to fetch data and JS frameworks to render it rather than send HTML response. For some concepts which re-define the way you are using the internet, visual concepts work! Validating them via technology is a different thing - I often foresee / dream about tele-porting shown in StarTrek -- if I can see (or visualize) it - it has a larger probability of becoming a reality. I guess I am digressing though! :)

To add some more masala to this topic, I have often noticed that people are scared of validating a concept for fear that someone may steal their idea. I have had a hard time convincing them otherwise.

Thoughts?

--
All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?