Greetings & Introductions

Sam Brown

Feb 5, 2011, 4:43:43 AM2/5/11
to the technomads
Hallo all. I'm Sam, and I spent late 2009 to early 2010 doing exactly
this. Gave away most of my stuff, sold a few things online, sent a few
boxes back to my family to hold while I was away, and got down to
enough gear to carry. Brought my laptop with me so I could work
wherever I was.

My rig was pretty heavy: armored laptop bag holding 17" powerbook,
small backpack sized slingbag holding a portable professional grade
camera studio, and an expedition sized hiking pack. Here's the upshot
of lugging a giant camera everywhere: You remember to use it, and
before long, you're taking some good shots. Take a look, indulge me:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/individualpixel/sets/

This year I'm settled back stateside, in Oakland, and loving it. Of
course, I wouldn't relish it half this much if I hadn't spent the year
before rootless.

P.S. Hello again, Sean. Pleased to see you captaining this ship. I'm
dropping back in on LA in a few weeks and if were there at the same
time I'd say we should catch up over M Cafe or Pure Luck. Planning to
head any further east than Berlin? The further I got into the old
Russian sphere of influence, the more effort it took to maintain a veg
diet. How's that going for you?