This is exactly what I've been looking for[Introduction]

justinthetech

Dec 2, 2010, 5:03:24 PM12/2/10
to the technomads
Hi All

I recently ended a 2 year relationship I had been in. We shared
everything, and the car was in her name, so when I left, I left it
all. I am the Apple Systems Administrator at a small University in
Elgin, IL and live in the city(Chi). That work was a long commute, and
my only way to make money at the time, so I suddenly found myself
renting a car so I could get to work in order to save up money to buy
a car. It was around this point, couch-surfing, and paying money in
order to sell my soul to buy more that this idea began to come to me,
but I had no idea there were pother people out there with the same
mindset.

Needless to say, I now find myself 28 years old, laid off, with
essentially no possessions and pretty much no ties to anything. I am
staying at my parent's house, but don't want to be, I have dreamed of
a life without responsibility for ages, but have always been tied down
in some way shape or form and now I'm free(but broke...).

So, my #1 priority is getting a new laptop, my old G4 crapped out on
me while I was here and the University is taking back the MBP on my
last day(tomorrow). #2 is figuring out what to do, not with the rest
of my life, let's just start with the rest of the month. I have always
wanted to travel but never been able to. I really hope that I can make
this work and thank all of you in advance for your advice and the
benefit of being able to learn from your experiences.

I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself to the group and
express how marvelous and wonderful a concept this is. I was pretty
depressed, but finding this I'm now pretty excited. I love it when
many people all over the world all come up with the same idea at the
same time.

Synchronicity. Beautiful.

Dino Corvino

Dec 3, 2010, 9:04:28 AM12/3/10
to techn...@googlegroups.com
Rock on Justin.

The walk is the way brother.

Cherie @Technomadia

Dec 4, 2010, 11:46:30 AM12/4/10
to the technomads
Welcome :) It is amazing to be able to connect so much more easily
with others living these lifestyles.

Markus @loimp

Dec 4, 2010, 2:44:46 PM12/4/10
to the technomads
I might have some ideas for you - shoot me an email. Cheers!

Andrew Mayer

Dec 3, 2010, 3:30:49 PM12/3/10
to techn...@googlegroups.com
Just so you know you're not the only one:

I'm a game designer & novelist in his 40s who ended an 8 year marriage/relationship in July.

When the full-time job ended a few months later, I decided to take the car out on the road, reconnect with friends, and rebuild my priorites.. I've been rolling around for the last six weeks, and am heading over to New Zealand for a six week trip starting in mid-December, and am relaunching my consulting business.

Depending on how that trip goes, I'm planning on embracing the tech-nomad lifestyle even more fully over the coming year--starting with a six week stay in the bay-area, and a then a book tour over the summer.

The crisis became an opportunity for me to start exploring, and rebuild my life.

- Andrew Mayer
www.andrewpmayer.com
twitter: @andrewmayer

Nick Taylor

Dec 4, 2010, 7:47:36 PM12/4/10
to techn...@googlegroups.com

Yup - me too... 46... but I've been a web address more than a physical
one for years now.

Currently back at the family seat... but moving into the camper-van for
the summer which is (here in NZ) nowish. I just waiting to get paid so I
can punt some money at a system like this:

http://www.envirodynamics.co.nz/acatalog/Mobi-Solar.html so I can be
online all the time :)

Nick

> Just so you know you're not the only one:
>
> I'm a game designer & novelist in his 40s who ended an 8 year
> marriage/relationship in July.
>
> When the full-time job ended a few months later, I decided to take the
> car out on the road, reconnect with friends, and rebuild my priorites..
> I've been rolling around for the last six weeks, and am heading over to
> New Zealand for a six week trip starting in mid-December, and am
> relaunching my consulting business.
>
> Depending on how that trip goes, I'm planning on embracing the
> tech-nomad lifestyle even more fully over the coming year--starting with
> a six week stay in the bay-area, and a then a book tour over the summer.
>
> The crisis became an opportunity for me to start exploring, and rebuild
> my life.
>
> - Andrew Mayer

> www.andrewpmayer.com <http://www.andrewpmayer.com>
> twitter: @andrewmayer