Medical and dental records

haley amlin

May 12, 2011, 7:40:05 AM5/12/11
to techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

What is the best and most portable way to carry one's own medical and dental records around while traveling? I am not interested in them being a part of a public database, but I would like them to be easily accessible to a doctor or dentist if I should go to visit one in another country. Ideally, I would give them a USB stick with some data and then they would update it and give that back to me.

- Is there any open standard or some kind of common format for this kind of data?
- Has anyone ever tried getting doctors or dentists to turn over this data to an individual, personally, in a digital form?
- Are there any other people out there who, like me, are concerned with the privacy implications of shared medical records and looking for other options?

❤ haley

Sean Bonner

May 12, 2011, 12:14:15 PM5/12/11
to techn...@googlegroups.com
USB stik is the way to go, there's no open standard that all doctors use, so each new one you go to will have interpret the work of the one before them a bit, but that's what they are used to.

-s

--
---
TECHNOMADS

---

Sean Bonner
Assorted Troublemakings
homebase | twitter

Dino Corvino

May 12, 2011, 12:22:45 PM5/12/11
to techn...@googlegroups.com
I work directly in this field at FPHS.

Your records are yours.  World wide.  That is an agreed upon standard.  HIPAA protects your privacy to a large extent, but many large hospitals are lax in their handling of hipaa.  You need to be sure of what you are signing and how it is being interpreted by the provider and the record keeping staff.

Seek out the concept of MEDICAL HOME.  There is a lot of great writing about that, and you should be able to start there.

As far as what you need....I think a USB stick with your history, medications, surgeries.  Talk to a doctor you trust, ask what information is needed, and just carry that.

With Gratitude the Universe is Eternally Abundant

John Veteran

May 12, 2011, 12:30:41 PM5/12/11
to techn...@googlegroups.com
What's the best way of carrying your records on you should you be injured in an accident while overseas and can't communicate to medical personnel?

Jonathon Townley

May 12, 2011, 2:30:29 PM5/12/11
to techn...@googlegroups.com

I would advise to make an encrypted backup online, and share the info with a trusted friend or family member, or your attorney, in case you are incapacitated.

Consider doing the same with a scan of your relevant documents like passport, drivers license, etc.

Encrypt the physical drive, as well.

Cheers,
Jonathon
@jptownley

John Rodgers

May 12, 2011, 4:05:19 PM5/12/11
to techn...@googlegroups.com
for any online documentation look into online virtual hdd's like www.idrive.com where you can upload any documents to access
on the road.

haley amlin

May 16, 2011, 9:18:05 AM5/16/11
to techn...@googlegroups.com
So just to be clear, what should I ask them to put onto the USB stick? Should I request the file in a specific format? Are they able to easily export from whatever software they use for this (is the standard inclusive of both individual use AND medical community circulation)?

Thank you!

❤ haley