First world location + Don't know anyone = ???

Lisha Sterling

May 24, 2012, 3:39:58 PM5/24/12
to techn...@googlegroups.com
I'm the sort of person who is perfectly comfortable hoping on a plane
or a boat or a bus or a train to some third world location where I
know absolutely no one, and staying there or traveling around for
weeks or months in perfect simplicity. I'm about to take a trip to
Paris, though, and suddenly I feel completely baffled. Uhhh... how do
I do this? I don't KNOW anyone there!!

I have hotel accommodation for the weekend that I'm taking part in a
workshop, but it would be silly to go all the way to Paris and spend
just one weekend there. I've never been there before.

Do any of you have experience traveling dirt cheap in France while not
ignoring your work responsibilities? Is it easy to find open wifi? Is
it easy to find places where you can plug in your computer and sit and
work for a couple of hours at a stretch? If I'm in France for just a
week or two, does it make sense to get a local SIM card? Or should I
just use my US AT&T phone as-is for such a short trip?

Any advice or tales of experience would be much appreciated!

- Lisha

--
http://www.alwayssababa.com/

That Poet

May 24, 2012, 5:35:17 PM5/24/12
to techn...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Lisha:

Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  (No, that's not a Molly Bloom imitation.)

Many cafes have wi-fi (pronounced wee-fee here) that you can use all day for the price of a cuppa java.  Paris has long had a coffeehouse culture that encourages sitting around for hours watching people go by as you nurse a cup.

A local SIM card is probably cheaper, because AT&T roaming charges suck big time.  Because I now live here, I have a local mobile phone, but before, when I was traveling to visit, I would get hammered by long distance and data roaming charges.

Glad to be of help here.  There are so many other people on this listserv who are REALLY experts that it feels good to know something.

Welcome.

--Richard

On May 24, 2012, at 9:39 PM, Lisha Sterling wrote:

Do any of you have experience traveling dirt cheap in France while not
ignoring your work responsibilities? Is it easy to find open wifi? Is
it easy to find places where you can plug in your computer and sit and
work for a couple of hours at a stretch? If I'm in France for just a
week or two, does it make sense to get a local SIM card? Or should I
just use my US AT&T phone as-is for such a short trip?

Any advice or tales of experience would be much appreciated!

- Lisha

--
http://www.alwayssababa.com/

--
---
TECHNOMADS

---

Jonathon Townley

May 24, 2012, 7:42:49 PM5/24/12
to techn...@googlegroups.com
While we're at it, I'm looking to work from Paris during all of October. I'd like to rent a studio with fast internets and twitter installed.

I'd like someone that the community knows and...

I'm cat friendly, amenable to a trade with our place in Sugar Hill Section of Harlem. But I can find a subletter here. So that's not a deal breaker

Let me know!

David "Navalha" Costa

May 24, 2012, 8:14:35 PM5/24/12
to techn...@googlegroups.com

I haven't used them myself (I'm in the Netherlands), but a friend that works between Brussels and Paris is always going on about them.

Good luck on your trip.

That Poet

May 25, 2012, 5:13:35 AM5/25/12
to techn...@googlegroups.com
Jonathon:

I don't know anyone with those specific specs, but in terms of the larger "community," more and more of my friends who visit in Paris are using (and are happy with) Airbnb <http://www.airbnb.com/>.  The company has verified user comments about the apartments, and now even ranks them according to positive reviews.  Caveat emptor, of course, but with diligent reading of the recommendations and specs, you could probably find exactly what you need.

If you want to go a more professional route (i.e., a company with a staff that checks things out personally, and is quick and responsive if you need anything in relation to the thirty or so apartments they manage), I highly recommend I Love Paris Apartments.  I've know the owner for thirty years and he rented out our apartment here on our behalf before we could make the final move to France.

--Richard

Cherie @Technomadia

May 27, 2012, 11:41:18 AM5/27/12
to techn...@googlegroups.com
We know some fellow nomads who use a house swapping community site to swap their house for ones in other places... probably worth searching for and finding out more.   You could also probably looking into some of the house sitting / caretaker communities for exchanging your services to watch a property / pets for lodging.

 - Cherie

--
---
TECHNOMADS
http://thetechnomads.net
http://twitter.com/thetechnomads

---

Eric Michaud

Oct 24, 2015, 8:16:12 PM10/24/15
to techn...@googlegroups.com
Is this list still live?

 - Cherie

--
---
TECHNOMADS
http://thetechnomads.net
http://twitter.com/thetechnomads

---

---
TECHNOMADS
http://thetechnomads.net
http://twitter.com/thetechnomads

---

Jesse

Oct 24, 2015, 9:18:13 PM10/24/15
to techn...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

---
TECHNOMADS
http://thetechnomads.net
http://twitter.com/thetechnomads

---

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "the technomads" group.

Jesse Bikman
919-370-1314 (mobile)

jesse...@gmail.com

Jonathon Townley

Oct 24, 2015, 10:16:48 PM10/24/15
to techn...@googlegroups.com
Hey ooks like it

 I haven't seen a post on here in ages though. Is it
---