Using W8/8.1 calc on W10

V S Rawat

Sep 10, 2021, 12:04:45 PM9/10/21
to th
Microsoft is an enemy of screen space.

It does everything to take up maximum screen area, on any of MS software
windows, W10 settings, Word, Excel, whatever; showing useless irrelevant
things so that less and less things are available for you that you need
to see.

One example is W10 Calc, it occupies large screen area, and doesn't even
have basic simple "always on top" feature, so it hides when you go to
pick data from other windows to put in calculator.

Solution taken from:
https://www.trishtech.com/2016/01/how-to-run-windows-8-1-calculator-in-windows-10/

how to use w8.1 calc in w10

From W8.1 installation, copy these two files to somewhere so that these
can be accessed when you login to w10. I have copied them to
E:\soft\oninstall\w8.1calc which is my data folder when I am on W10.

from W8.1
C:\Windows\System32\Calc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\en-US\Calc.exe.mui

To W10
E:\soft\oninstall\w8.1calc\calc.exe
E:\soft\oninstall\w8.1calc\en-US\calc.exe.mui

Log in to W10

Start - Run - regedit
go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\

right click on "App Paths" in left pane, click Key, create a sub-key
named calc.exe

in the right pane
Change value of Default (REG_SZ) to the above full path of calc.exe
value set to the full-path name of the calc.exe file,
E:\soft\oninstall\w8.1calc\calc.exe

create a new String type 'Path'
set it to the folder path where you copied the calc.exe file.
E:\soft\oninstall\w8.1calc

close registry editor

Start - Run - calc
press Enter.
now the w8.1 Calc has run instead of the new Windows 10 Calculator app.

right click on its band on taskbar and click "pin to taskbar" it will
always appear in taskbar for easy access

Thanks.
--
Rawat