Apple DEP and iPhones

Blake Richardson

Jan 30, 2018, 10:05:49 PM1/30/18
to Techies for schools
I am making a big push at the moment to enrol as many of our devices as possible with Apple DEP. This includes iPhones and I am getting stuck.

To enrol a device you need to reseller to register the device using their reseller DEP ID with the distributor, we have purchased a few devices from Noel Leeing so I reached out to my account manager there only to get the below response

" Normally we cant switch an iPhone over to Apple DEP unless it's on the Vodafone network. "

Surely this can't be correct and if it is well done Apple, you just made the process even more difficult!!!

Keith Craig

Jan 30, 2018, 10:55:12 PM1/30/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
What management system are you running? With Jamf you can enroll devices in the system and manage them without being enrolled in the DEP.

Keith Craig
Systems Administrator
Dilworth School
Sent from my iPhone

Arnold Santos

Jan 30, 2018, 11:43:18 PM1/30/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Problem is if you get the unit/s from sources/supplier not accredited with Apple for DEP enrolment, it will not be a success. Been in that situation before, I suggest to get it from a reputable supplier who knows about enterprise solution for Apple.

Regards,
Arnold

Arnold B. Santos
ICT Systems Administrator
Queenstown Primary School

________________________
Apple Certified Support Professional 10.11
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.8

This email may contain confidential information intended for the recipient. If you receive this email in error please contact me.

Josh

Jan 31, 2018, 3:30:08 PM1/31/18
to Techies for schools
If the device can run iOS11 you can enrol it manually into DEP regardless of the reseller being a DEP registered or not.

It's a pretty simple process, you configure them with AppleConfigurator, add a DEP profile that adds them into your ASM. From ASM you move them into your MDM of choice. Just reboot and they will grab their DEP configuration.

Apple stuff is my wheel house, happy to help out if you need more information. I'm pre-coffee still so hope it made sense.

Sam McNeill

Jan 31, 2018, 4:48:38 PM1/31/18
to Techies for schools
My experience (admittedly a few years back) is the same as Arnold's - if the devices are bought from a company that isn't supporting/registered DEP you're out of luck, but I would have thought Noels' was fine in this space??

Interesting update from Josh re: iOS11 - definitely helps if that is the case.

Blake, I know you're at SMC and therefore not included in the MoE Schools Agreement, but if there are state/integrated schools readinfg this that are issuing iPhones to senior staff and want a free MDM to manage them Intune is included in the agreement and supports DEP/VPP - I wrote a blog post showing how to do this late last year:

cheers,
Sam

Josh

Jan 31, 2018, 5:10:39 PM1/31/18
to Techies for schools

andy....@linewize.com

Mar 15, 2018, 7:15:09 AM3/15/18
to Techies for schools
Gosh, there are some astounding responses from retailers out there when it comes to DEP.
Steer clear of the ones that either: don't know what DEP is, or, can't retrospectively sort out DEP for you, or say that you need to be on a specific mobile carrier to get DEP!??! WTF?!

Josh has nailed it... Apple finally saw the error of their ways and have allowed for what they call "Provisional DEP Enrolment" using Apple Configurator 2.5 and iOS 11.

The only caveat is that the provisional enrolment can be removed by anyone for up to 30 days.
Therefore you may need to leave your newly enrolled devices in a cupboard for a month, so that a little darling doesn't remove the profile!

Ultimately tho, find a good reseller that knows DEP properly and you wont wind up in a world of pain.

Oh and MAKE SURE, you provide the correct DEP ID when you purchase and that your reseller does the same (cough cough) or else that gets VERY MESSY too!! 😱

Josh and I are your guys if you need any Apple assistance... we've seen the good, the bad and the plainly-defies-all-sense-and-reason-dammmmnn-ugly... so, please just hit us up!