KAMAR school continuity plans

Edwin Bruce

Jun 24, 2024, 10:47:15 PMJun 24
to Techies for schools
Hi, what do others have/do in event that KAMAR is unavailable for a day or two? Local copy, print outs? Thx

d.keen...@gc.ac.nz

Jun 24, 2024, 10:59:24 PMJun 24
to Techies for schools
In our case, we have a choice of a local copy, or reloading a virtual machine backup in Proxmox [applying any intermediary data backups]; anything with enough resources will do.

Regards,

David Keenleyside, BSc CS & IS, CTech

ITP Associate

EFF Member

ICT Technician

Glenfield College

PO Box 40176 (Kaipatiki Rd)

Glenfield, Auckland City 0629

Ph:       +64 9 444 9066 ext 677

DDI: +64 9 441 9779

Email:    d.keen...@gc.ac.nz

https://itp.nz/CTech/NZ160799

https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-keenleyside-626871/

The Three O’s of Backup: Online, Offline, Off-site.

The Three RA’s of Cloud: Run Anywhere, Run Anytime, Run Agnostic.

Matt Strickland

Jun 25, 2024, 12:04:20 AMJun 25
to Techies for schools
Depends on the issue, during Cyclone Gabrielle here in HB with extended no-power it was paper, but there was no students, no school with no power (battery backup supplies long depleted by that time)
I had a stand-alone copy with Chrous/N4L just for mailouts but mostly useless with varying parts of town without power, cell sites knocked over etc.
Limited social media connections played a better role here, vs a push service like email or app.

I do have deployed a MDM offline WPA2 network profile ready to go on a standalone device with some old Ruckus AP's that can act as a FM server and restored latest backup. (dirty dns hack to point clients to a different server)
This is only in place if the server room is lost to fire/flood, taking out chorus, n4l/fortigate etc. Only for local admin staff so its pretty minimalistic.

I think losing our core network, ie is probably the worst scenario (where the classrooms are still all fully functional, so students can attend)

Matt