Microsoft Licensing - Server versions

Simon Wright

May 26, 2024, 5:44:51 PMMay 26
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Just curious to know what is the highest server version you have licence keys for?

For us it's 2019. Server 2022 has no keys...
Screenshot 2024-05-27 092229.png

I know of at least one other school which has 2022 keys. Shouldn't all funded schools be on the same subscription?

This is just pure curiosity as I have no plans on upgrading, I hope to be server free by the end of next year when our server lease runs out.
There is very little still tying us to having a local AD server or any other windows server.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 ext 208  | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Alistair Baird

May 26, 2024, 6:01:42 PMMay 26
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I have server 2022 keys, for a few chocolate fish..........

Kind regards,
Alistair Baird
IT Manager

P  06 354 4198
stpeterspn.school.nz

  @stpeterspn

1 Holdsworth Avenue, Milson
Palmerston North, 4414

Dion McGovern-Allen

May 26, 2024, 6:04:39 PMMay 26
to Techies for schools
2022 here (Feilding High), you may need to get put on the updated license agreement.

I've had a similar thing occur at Rangitikei College when I was there.
Had to call up Microsoft for the key :-)

d.keen...@gc.ac.nz

May 26, 2024, 6:29:03 PMMay 26
to Techies for schools
In the screenshot, you'll notice an "Export all keys to CSV" option.
This will get you the keys for everything, including things you might not be entitled to, so it would be important to clarify what versions are allowed for deployment.
On our export, we do get keys for Server 2022 etc.  We do, however, have Core Server platform licenses.

Note:  Frankly, it's quite scary how everything could go wrong there.

Regards,

David Keenleyside, BSc CS & IS, CTech

ITP Associate

EFF Member

ICT Technician

Glenfield College

PO Box 40176 (Kaipatiki Rd)

Glenfield, Auckland City 0629

Ph:       +64 9 444 9066 ext 677

DDI: +64 9 441 9779

Email:    d.keen...@gc.ac.nz

https://itp.nz/CTech/NZ160799

https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-keenleyside-626871/

The Three O’s of Backup: Online, Offline, Off-site.

The Three RA’s of Cloud: Run Anywhere, Run Anytime, Run Agnostic.

Sue Way

May 27, 2024, 4:30:39 PMMay 27
to Techies for schools
I can confirm we have Server 2022 licences.

Chocolate fish always work with me ;-)

Sue Way
Wellington Girls' College

Matt Strickland

May 27, 2024, 6:34:14 PMMay 27
to Techies for schools
Likewise we're the same... + tons of stuff we are not entitled to.

When I look at really old keys from EDCOM, (Like Office 2000), I see keys for other schools.
I think its mostly cleaned up now after it moved portal, but I had 100's of keys named with other schools.

Matt

licences-microsoft.png

Ben Green

May 28, 2024, 4:51:07 PMMay 28
to Techies for schools
When licensing shifted from the VLSC website to the M365 admin portal, I think we had to use the VLSC site to link up users to have access though the admin portal, and that included choosing which enrolment/agreement numbers should be available.

Is there any chance that the issues some schools are seeing are due to not having the most recent enrolment ID connected through to their M365 account?

- Ben.

Jun 12, 2024, 6:31:42 PMJun 12
to Techies for schools

The current license agreement the Ministry has with Microsoft covers all current supported versions of the software covered by the agreement.

 The Ministry of Education has update their website with the current supported versions as below

  • Windows 10/11
  • Office 2019/365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Forms)
  • SharePoint 2019/SharePoint Server Subscription Edition
  • Exchange 2019
  • Windows Server 2019/2022
  • Microsoft Teams.

Paul Stephen
Government Sector Lead
Cyclone Computers

Marlon Yu

Jun 13, 2024, 4:50:38 PMJun 13
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Hi Paul,

Exchange 2016 is not in the list?

Marlon

Likewise we're the same... + tons of stuff we are not entitled to.

When I look at really old keys from EDCOM, (Like Office 2000), I see keys for other schools.

I think its mostly cleaned up now after it moved portal, but I had 100's of keys named with other schools.

Matt

*** RANGITOTO COLLEGE EMAIL DISCLAIMER ***
The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender immediately and delete the email and attachments. Any use, dissemination, reproduction or distribution of this email and any attachments by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
*** RANGITOTO COLLEGE EMAIL DISCLAIMER ***

Simon Wright

Jun 13, 2024, 4:54:07 PMJun 13
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Curious who is still running a local exchange server and why?

Regards,

Simon Wright

Craig Knights

Jun 13, 2024, 4:59:20 PMJun 13
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

We never ran one.  Everything I saw online said it was a bit of a monster to keep running well.

Simon Wright

Jun 13, 2024, 5:03:30 PMJun 13
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Well exactly. We still had one up until moving to Google back around 2011.

Regards,

Simon Wright

Dion McGovern-Allen

Jun 13, 2024, 6:25:54 PMJun 13
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Technically if you still have a domain controller and azure sync and you've previously had it setup in hybrid. You can't fully remove exchange as far as management is concerned.
Mailboxes of course can be migrated to 365 sure but some settings 365 can't change as it comes from active directory. 🙂

As I understand it!

Its also only recently that you can fully remove any influence of onsite exchange from the cloud.
The recommendation previously would be to still run exchange server for the management aspects!

Here at Fielding High, staff mailboxes were moved to 365 and the exchange server shutdown and decom by the previous IT provider.

Course then it was not an option to remove the hybrid config and it technically is still there!

Thanks,
Dion McGovern-Allen.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Techies for schools" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/techies-for-schools/CAEJps9qXzbUsVfNv-rpACZ%3DyYf7XBMMN6jiErW7HJZKMCKuTUg%40mail.gmail.com.

Matt Strickland

Jun 13, 2024, 7:50:18 PMJun 13
to Techies for schools
I ran Exchange up until either 2007 or 2010, so the extended attributes are still in AD (like Exchange security groups, system objects, public folders etc).
I do still use a few extensionAttributes (for syncing from Kamar) but will abandon this at some point with the removal of AD in the future.

Matt

Marlon Yu

Jun 14, 2024, 2:21:36 PMJun 14
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

We still do.

  1. We still have on-prem AD and until that goes away, apparently we’re stuck with a need to have local Exchange for management.
  2. The amount of emails we send out almost always causes us to hit Exchange Online’s daily send limits so we can’t funnel emails thru it. And with stricter sending limits coming soon in 2025, I reckon we’d be stuck with it for a wee while (although if purely just for this reason, we can probably switch to something else other than Exchange)

And the kicker is that Exchange 2019 (as far as we knew back when we migrated; could have changed now) does not support our set up so we’re required to stay with 2016 which is EOL next year.

Marlon