Throttling, BYOD Wi-Fi... not the students.

Micheal Stoodley

Jun 17, 2024, 5:27:33 AMJun 17
to Techies for schools
What have you set your max Download and Upload speeds for student devices?
Was there a specific reason for the numbers that you rolled with?

Ben Green

Jun 17, 2024, 6:53:43 AMJun 17
to Techies for schools
Only ever throttled at the Wireless AP, not at a firewall etc.

Initially the goal was to help share airtime (while ensuring possible for student to stream one video at some acceptable quality level).

As we stepped through Wi-Fi generations (3, 4, 5, 6) and WAPs with smarter (dynamic) airtime fairness, this progressively stopped being about Wi-Fi airtime and instead was all about the internet connection.

There is never an ideal number for throttling though; if a student has a genuine need to download a CD-sized file before they can start their classwork, it's best that this happens as fast as possible.

We ultimately solved overall internet contention by web filtering/application firewalling. Without that I would guess that we'd need to seriously consider reintroducing throttling.

Students got throttled down/up:
1 Mbit in 2014.
5 Mbit in 2015.
25 Mbit in 2017 (5 Mbit for phones).
No throttle in 2019 but streaming media e.g. YouTube blocked by default.

- Ben.

Jun 17, 2024, 5:49:00 PMJun 17
to Techies for schools
Good Morning on a Tuesday!

At Feilding Highschool, back when the school had their own Fortigate 600c, they had setup bandwidth policies for students and staff.
Staff had a higher priority and students were lower.
Additionally, students had a "minimum" speed that was allocated for when the network is under load.
They also had a "pool" that they could get up to - which allows for that bursty nature of the internet.
From memory, staff had full bandwidth and students had a max cap of 50-60% of the speed of the connection

The device is no longer at the school for me to get the figures for and previously the school did not have gigabit internet (was 500/500)

They had Radius Single Sign On and Fortigate Single Sign on configured to identify student/staff accounts.
The wireless for BYOD was a captive portal which would pass details onto the fortigate (RSSO).

Nowadays, all of that equipment and configuration has been removed and its a "free for all".

d.keen...@gc.ac.nz

Jun 17, 2024, 6:48:03 PMJun 17
to Techies for schools
We have structured our network such that there are two links:
N4L [1Gbps]
Staff [1Gbps]

The N4L link is further divided into a BYOD-dedicated Arista Edge unit and the same for the Labs.
Each N4L unit is allocated a pipe, 500Mbps for BYOD and 750Mbps for Labs; yes, the labs can crush the BYOD traffic.

By having separate units, we can also assign separate filtering and monitoring rules, and Artisa's reporting is quite stellar; compared to nothing.
Additionally, we have different ranges of IP addresses [such as Meta's range] that are blocked on different gateways, giving us a high degree of flexibility regarding unknown devices.

QoS on the BYOD unit is assigned:
Screenshot_20240618_102752.png
The Labs are assigned:
Screenshot_20240618_103443.png
The labs are doing serious work, which requires serious bandwidth. For large files and other related data, rather than inefficiently multiplying the transmission over the Internet link, we utilize File Servers for this purpose.  This ensures each lab machine effectively receives data at a full 1Gbps, allowing the remote booting of virtual machines and for quite large Adobe files to be manipulated; along with anything else we have in mind, especially webpage design or film editing.

With the staff members having a dedicated link, we have no issues with teachers and bandwidth, as they can always access what they need, when they need it, for teaching; without going to battle on the N4L link.

Regards,

David Keenleyside, BSc CS & IS, CTech

ITP Associate

EFF Member

ICT Technician

Glenfield College

PO Box 40176 (Kaipatiki Rd)

Glenfield, Auckland City 0629

Ph:       +64 9 444 9066 ext 677

DDI: +64 9 441 9779

Email:    d.keen...@gc.ac.nz

https://itp.nz/CTech/NZ160799

https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-keenleyside-626871/

The Three O’s of Backup: Online, Offline, Off-site.

The Three RA’s of Cloud: Run Anywhere, Run Anytime, Run Agnostic.

Clayton Hubbard

Jun 17, 2024, 11:49:36 PMJun 17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hey Michael,

Anything specific you trying to achieve I.e behaviour or performance?

Clayton Hubbard
Head of Architecture

This email, including attachments, may contain information which is confidential or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and then delete this email from your system. Email communications are not secure and are not guaranteed by The Network for Learning to be free of unauthorised interference, error or virus. Anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept this risk. Anything in this email which does not relate to the official business of The Network for Learning is neither given nor endorsed by The Network for Learning.
Message has been deleted

Micheal Stoodley

Jun 18, 2024, 4:21:03 PMJun 18
to Techies for schools
Hey Clayton,
I'm certainly thinking about performance, but also a random issue,
which seems to impact the occasional Chromebook on our BYOD network.
We seem to be catching one BYOD chromebook every 5 - 7 days over the last month with unusable internet speed.
The device can get stuck for days. Hard reset, forget SSID & rejoin, clear cache - nothing helps.

On these under performing Devices, Speed Tests results are: Download around 50 Mbps, Upload 0.09 Mbps
We currently have them on 50 Mbps each way.
But those broken devices perform like on dialup, but maybe worse.
As soon as I get the device off the student WiFi, and onto mobile data or another SSID the machine is fine.

Powerwashing, or an OS update fixed the issue.  However, I really wanted to figure out what was going on.
When the next Chromebook came in, we turned off throttling on the student BYOD SSID and the device flew, immediately.

We are on Ruckus Gear.
Just seems odd, that singular devices get stuck in the internet mud.
We will do some testing with easing the handbrake on BYOD.

Throttling 50 Mbps each way was a legacy setting from when we moved off Meraki gear, so certainly worth revisiting.