Device Insurance

Simon Wright

May 7, 2024, 8:33:20 PMMay 7
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Just curious to know with other schools what insurance policy excess is for theft or damage on electronic devices, i.e. laptops.
Ours as it stands is $2500, which is pointless. Getting this looked into by our broker.

The reason I ask is I've shot myself in the foot by not realising the non-subsidized TELA leases don't include the accidental theft and damage that the subsidized (teacher) laptops do.

I don't know why TELA has it this way (can't remember if this even used to be the case), it makes no sense to me, a school is more than just teachers. It's fine paying for the non-subsidized cost, but why doesn't that cost still include theft and damage cover, even if it puts the cost up slightly.
The TELA leasing makes it so quick and easy to order a laptop when required.

I'm just going to have to go back to the old ways of ordering laptops for non-teachers.

Simon.

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Craig Knights

May 7, 2024, 9:40:13 PMMay 7
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I kept doing them through TELA as it made us keep them up to date. Too easy to just let them keep using that ancient laptop.

Also the bean counters love leases for some accounting reasons.

Although I think we were at 14 or more unsub leases..  Oops.

Cheers
Craig

Simon Wright

May 7, 2024, 9:46:33 PMMay 7
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I will continue to lease, just purchasing will be through somewhere else, like Cyclone as they do offer damage cover option.

Flexi have left the education space and Quadrent have taken over for leasing. Good thing is Jan Paterson is now heading up their education leasing.

TELA have said it's something they are looking into...

Regards,

Simon Wright

Ben Green

May 7, 2024, 10:04:17 PMMay 7
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
At last count I believe our excess on this sort of item was $500 (against market value) for accidental damage; theft might be more.

Our bean counters have the opposite mindset; for any laptops beyond the TELA+ teacher quota, we purchase outright.
I don't think we've ever obtained 'extra' laptops through TELA.
I agree that you have to actively keep on top of (budgeting for) replacement.

- Ben.

May 7, 2024, 10:45:53 PMMay 7
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I do budget for all these devices, just based on yearly leasing costs, makes my budgeting so much easier.

We have about 12 non-subsidised TELA devices, because i/we have moved away from desktops, mostly during the height of the pandemic. All office and other ancillary staff have laptops now.
Have plenty more that have off-lease tela laptops (i also keep a small stock pile of off-lease laptops, especially nowadays come exam time for digital exam supervision). If these get broken, they aren't worth fixing, so I just replace them from my stock pile.
Touch wood, staff are pretty good at looking after the laptops, only really been warranty issues the last few years, this is really the first damaged under current non-subsidised lease laptop.

Might have some options for the current non-subsidised devices.

Regards,

Simon Wright

Keith Craig

May 8, 2024, 5:29:37 AMMay 8
to Techies for schools
I think the insurance excess at a lot of schools is high to keep the cost of insurance down. It is really only worth claiming if multiple devices are stolen, otherwise need to self insure by budgeting to replace perhaps 1 device per year. The same with extended warranty - I was at a school with a very large Mac fleet and we found it was better to have some repair budget rather than paying for Apple Care or other extended warranty. Generally businesses love leasing because it keeps their computers up to date, they can spread the payments and get an immediate tax deduction on the lease payment rather than a longer depreciation cycle. This becomes a numbers game for schools - most schools are not-for-profit so do not pay tax so there is no advantage here so it comes down to cash flow and how long you want to keep your laptops. We found that we could get a long life out of the Mac laptops so did an outright purchase. Also the lumpy cashflow was an issue to the beancounters as long as they had plenty of warning. As an independent school TELA was not available so this influenced choices. Each school will be different.

regards

Keith

Sam McNeill

May 8, 2024, 5:17:46 PMMay 8
to Techies for schools
Team,

Interesting discussion.

I don't want to derail the core purpose of Simon's thread, but just wanted to gauge interest if Cyclone was to run a webinar that covered off options around leasing and insurance?

Not committing to anything here, but could potentially do a bit of speed dating by bringing 2-3 edu-focused leasing/insurance providers to do a 5min take on options available to schools?

We could also include more specific details on the TELA+ insurance options for teacher/non-teacher devices.

Let me know if any interest here or ping me directly offline sam DOT mcneill AT cyclone DOT co DOT nz

Cheers
Sam