Pilot of the new Cyber Assistant Tool

Andrew Hood

May 20, 2024, 11:39:40 PMMay 20
to Techies for schools

Kia ora,

As some of you may have seen in the Digital Download (cheap plug – subscribe here Digital Download Subscription) the Ministry is about to start the pilot testing of the new Cyber Assistant Tool. The tool aims to help schools and kura understand their level of resilience against cyber security and privacy threats. The tool is being developed to help guide schools on which preventative security actions to take. Schools complete a self-assessment through a set of survey questions about their cyber security and then receive up to five practical actions to improve their security. These actions are tailored for your school, providing the most important steps to take to enhance the security of your school’s digital environment.

We need your help to identify how we improve this tool and are looking for schools to be part of our pilot. Pilot testing will take place from late June. The tool is aimed to be useable by all schools and kura and therefore will be used by a range of users with varying technical skills and understanding of cyber risks. As this user community represents those who are more technically minded, your view is valuable and will help shape the tool’s development for schools across Aotearoa. The tool covers a range of technical, policy and process areas covering cyber security, cyber safety, privacy and information management. The data and insights gathered will be key to informing the investment required to provide the necessary ongoing support to schools alongside guiding maturity uplifts in each school.

If you want to be involved, you can join our pilot by emailing us at: digital....@education.govt.nz - spaces are limited.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Hood | Chief Advisor Cyber Security
Te Pou Hanganga, Matihiko | Infrastructure & Digital

DDI +6444638102 | Mobile 029 200 3774
National Office 1 The Terrace

education.govt.nz

He mea tārai e mātou te mātauranga kia rangatira ai, kia mana taurite ai ōna huanga
We shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes