Kamar

Sean

Jun 24, 2024, 3:08:32 PMJun 24
to Techies for schools
Is anyone having issues with hosted Kamar. Both web and local clients currently not available?

Simon Wright

Jun 24, 2024, 3:13:37 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Kamar website is down, so there might be a bigger issue.

Regards,

Simon Wright

On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 at 07:08, Sean <f...@iona.school.nz> wrote:
Is anyone having issues with hosted Kamar. Both web and local clients currently not available?

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Simon Wright

Jun 24, 2024, 3:15:58 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Actually, try using mobile data, i can access their website via mobile, just not via schools N4L connection.

Regards,

Simon Wright

Message has been deleted

Sheldon Lendrum

Jun 24, 2024, 3:20:59 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
KAMAR are working on it.
It's a Domain Issue affecting kamar.nz only.
School.Kiwi portal services are working as expected.

This email may contain information which is confidential and/or subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender and delete the email.

Jonathan Churton

Jun 24, 2024, 3:29:19 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, looks like DNS Propagation issues.

image.png

--
Jonathan Churton
ICT Systems Engineer

Simon Wright

Jun 24, 2024, 3:30:31 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
When your DNS name servers are with Cloudflare and they deny having any records for your domain name....

2degrees must be slow to update their DNS records if it's still working via their mobile network.

Sean

Jun 24, 2024, 3:30:51 PMJun 24
to Techies for schools
Not sure we stock enough paper to go manual...

Pete Mundy

Jun 24, 2024, 3:54:48 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Looks more like registration of the domain in the .NZ registry was allowed to expire. Note the NXDOMAIN in the response to a lookup against one of the '.nz' NS:

macgeek@MGM1MBA ~ % dig kamar.nz @ns1.dns.net.nz

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> kamar.nz @ns1.dns.net.nz

;; global options: +cmd

;; Got answer:

;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:

; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;kamar.nz. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:

nz. 3600 IN SOA loopback.dns.net.nz. soa.nzrs.net.nz. 2406241941 900 300 604800 3600

;; Query time: 35 msec

;; SERVER: 202.46.190.130#53(202.46.190.130)

;; WHEN: Tue Jun 25 07:52:17 NZST 2024

;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 107

Kent

Jun 24, 2024, 4:18:04 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

Our DNS records are hosted by Cloudfare and I've checked these are still present and valid for both kamar.nz  and  kamar.co.nz
It may be your dns is using Cloudfare which hasn't been affected ???

I'm currently waiting for the Aussie based domain support team to start work at 10am NZ time

The workaround is to connect to  kamar.co.nz   (and accept the SSL warning).

Kent.

KAMAR Limited
Mount Maunganui

Joseph Birch

Jun 24, 2024, 4:24:53 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Website seems to be ok from this end (far north)

On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 at 07:12, Simon Wright <simon....@obhs.school.nz> wrote:
[...]

Kind Regards

Joseph Birch
IT Administrator
Opononi Area School

Email Disclaimer
The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) may be subject to copyright, legally privileged and confidential. Any unauthorised use, distribution or copying of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise us by return e-mail or telephone and then delete this e-mail together with all attachments.

Email Disclaimer
The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) may be subject to copyright, legally privileged and confidential. Any unauthorised use, distribution or copying of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise us by return e-mail or telephone and then delete this e-mail together with all attachments.

Simon Wright

Jun 24, 2024, 4:25:54 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
kamar.co.nz wants to keep redirecting to kamr.nz even after accepting the ssl warning.

The various DNS check tools online when checking directly against cloudflare or google return no results for kamar.nz

Regards,

Simon Wright

David Jurgensen

Jun 24, 2024, 4:28:14 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Note all. Anyone logging in with email OTP will have an error "ERROR: Not on server". Disable OTP for quick fix. Or get them on to app OPT which works fine.

(we are self hosted)

Jun 24, 2024, 4:31:15 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

Thanks for pointing this out - I've removed the redirect for now.

Our domain definitely wasn't allowed to expire on our part - it still had 2 years remaining.

I'm currently stuck being unable to do anything while I wait (not very patiently) for the appropriate staff to start work at 10:00am

Kent.

Simon Wright

Jun 24, 2024, 4:34:55 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Better, but many items are referring to kamar.nz

image.png

Regards,

Simon Wright

Simon Wright

Jun 24, 2024, 4:37:15 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
What IP should the A record be pointing to?

Want to test manually adding to our local DNS as a work around (not that it's really going to affect us).

Regards,

Simon Wright

Sue Way

Jun 24, 2024, 5:20:58 PMJun 24
to Techies for schools
The 2FA not working is a bit of a gotcha even if you host Kamar on your own site and using school.kiwi.

A few of us have the Authenticator App which has worked fine but just not those who use email as their default.

Sue

Kent

Jun 24, 2024, 5:31:16 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sue,

We received a few support calls about this and we have been discussing internally (while waiting for our DNS register issue to sorted - which hopefully it is now).

It's all very well having redundancy on all our infrastructure, but confess we never considered our dns not registering.

We will investigate options for this scenario (eg. fallback to IP address) for a future KAMAR update.

Cheers
Kent

> On 25 Jun 2024, at 9:20 AM, 'Sue Way' via Techies for schools <techies-f...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> The 2FA not working is a bit of a gotcha even if you host Kamar on your own site and using school.kiwi.
>
> A few of us have the Authenticator App which has worked fine but just not those who use email as their default.
>
> Sue
>
> On Tuesday 25 June 2024 at 08:37:15 UTC+12 Simon - OBHS wrote:
> What IP should the A record be pointing to?
>
> Want to test manually adding to our local DNS as a work around (not that it's really going to affect us).
>

> Regards,
>
> Simon Wright
>

> On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 at 08:34, Simon Wright <simon....@obhs.school.nz> wrote:
> Better, but many items are referring to kamar.nz
>

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/techies-for-schools/0992adbc-7ffc-43ec-bc1c-f31c3228c25cn%40googlegroups.com.

Simon Wright

Jun 24, 2024, 5:34:23 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Yip, appears to be back up and running for me.

> DISCLAIMER
> This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.
>
> --

> DISCLAIMER
> This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.
>
> --

> DISCLAIMER
> This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Tracy Briscoe (staff)

Jun 24, 2024, 5:36:42 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

I can confirm I can now access kamar.nz again.

The domain has gone from a status of ‘Client hold, renew period’ to ‘Active, renew period’:

Regards,

Tracy Briscoe

St Peter's School, Cambridge

Jun 24, 2024, 5:38:32 PMJun 24
to Techies for schools
All good here now.

Kent

Jun 24, 2024, 5:41:32 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

Thanks for confirming. I can see a lot of users were connecting via kamar.co.nz but the connections on our firewall are increasing back to normal levels.

Now to try and find out why this happened in the first place. Our kamar.nz domain was valid until mid 2026, so there was no valid reason that I'm aware of why this happened.

Cheers
Kent

Sue Way

Jun 24, 2024, 6:01:24 PMJun 24
to Techies for schools
Thanks for the update.

There is always going to be that one point of failure.

Thanks for getting it sorted. 2FA is going OK again the emails are just getting stuck in out quarantine for some reason,

Sue Way

Sean

Jun 24, 2024, 7:25:36 PMJun 24
to Techies for schools
Tried that. No luck from my end.

Kent

Jun 24, 2024, 7:25:36 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean (and others)

DomainzNZ have right royally (insert appropriate words into here) stuffed up our DNS renewal (despite it still having 2 years remaining) for our domain  kamar.nz

You should still be able to connect using  kamar.co.nz  (but it will give a SSL error which you will need to accept).

I'm working with their support to resolve this ASAP, however their domain support doesn't start for another 3 hours.

Kent
KAMAR Limited
Mount Maunganui

On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 7:08 AM Sean <f...@iona.school.nz> wrote:
Is anyone having issues with hosted Kamar. Both web and local clients currently not available?

Pete Mundy

Jun 24, 2024, 7:31:00 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
It sure does appear from the evidence submitted (ie the records being returned by the NZ registry's own name servers earlier this morning, along with Tracy's screenshot of the NZ registry's lookup engine on their website) that your registrar didn't renew your registration in the register (via the registry's SRS system) despite you having prepaid them to do-so.

If that happened to my business, I would vote with my feet.

I very highly recommend metaname.net :)

Pete

PS - registry, registrar, registrant, register, registration - words that all mean quite different things in DNS!

Sean

Jun 24, 2024, 7:32:07 PMJun 24
to Techies for schools
Thanks for sorting Kent.

Kent

Jun 24, 2024, 8:22:40 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pete,

It does appear this is the case.

The only explanation I've been able to get from them so far is they had a software issue on their end which affected updating the registration for a number of domains during the outage window and it was unfortunate that it affected one of ours (or fortunate that it only affected one of our domains depending on how you look at it). I have not been able to get any more information than this so far.

And yes, I've already started investigating alternatives with one criteria being they offer NZ support hours.

Thanks for the metaname tip - have reached out to them also.

Cheers
Kent

Pete Mundy

Jun 24, 2024, 8:42:09 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
At least they were able to accept responsibility and rectify quickly I guess.

Three things I love about Metaname:

Pete Mundy

Jun 24, 2024, 8:42:59 PMJun 24
to techies-for-schools@googlegroups.com schools
Bit trigger-happy on the send there!

Three technical features I love about metaname:

Pete Mundy

Jun 24, 2024, 8:45:36 PMJun 24
to techies-for-schools@googlegroups.com schools
(very sorry - I'm gmail webclient and am too accustomed to my normal reader where I press tab and return - which happens to trigger SEND in gmail! grr)

3 things I love about Metaname (3rd time lucky), the top two of which I think any halfway decent registrar should offer:

- dead easy DNSSEC support
- dead easy IPv6 support
- API

Anyone else got a favourite registrar?

Pete

Andrew Hood

Jun 24, 2024, 8:56:11 PMJun 24
to Techies for schools
"Anyone else got a favourite registrar?"

Well - obviously I am going to say SchoolDNS! Sorry Kent - not any use for you and I appreciate the challenges that you will be having when your Registrar gets things wrong . However, these kind of DNS issues are why we built the School DNS service so that schools would have someone like the Ministry (or me) to step in if there are issues. No registrar is perfect, but you want to trust that they will have your back if there is a problem.

Andrew

Pete Mundy

Jun 24, 2024, 9:17:21 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

+1 for SchoolDNS - excellent, 10/10 would recommend (if you're a school)

Jeffrey Burke

Jun 24, 2024, 9:26:27 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
You know SchoolDNS is provided by a parent company that offers hosting

Jun 24, 2024, 10:05:11 PMJun 24
to Techies for schools
Yep - Liverton Security provide the service which allows schools to have up to two domains and use Liverton as just a registrar or also use them as their DNS hosting provider as well. I would recommend using them as both but if you need to have remote DNS hosting for a reason, we support that. The service is funded by the Ministry and Liverton can guide you through the transfer process. I know it is not the largest IT cost saving to a school each year, but for a lot of schools DNS is forgotten about until they have issues.

Andrew

Jeffrey Burke

Jun 24, 2024, 10:58:31 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Do you have local dns servers, perhaps a temporary local a record pointing to the right IP?