Cloud managed Windows Laptops in small school

William Hamilton

Sep 7, 2022, 6:50:07 PM9/7/22
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I have recently been brought in to help out a smallish primary school (a couple of dozen staff).  A bit of a mishmash of systems in place which would benefit from some simplification.  They still run a Win Server 2012R2 with domain logins for teacher laptops on very old hardware.

I would like to remove the internal server and shift more to the cloud - They use Office365 for email and office apps,  Google Drive for some storage and local server for others (not sure on the history of this). Some federation between Microsoft and Google systems would be easier for the school to self manage in the future I suspect.

Has anyone migrated a small school to Azure/Intune or similar and are happy to chat about their experience with me?

Jono Green

Sep 7, 2022, 10:43:40 PM9/7/22
to Techies for schools
Hi William,

I was recently working with Microsoft and the Ministry to put together a series of videos called Tech Bites to help schools utilise the Microsoft 365 A5 licenses they're entitled to. They cover off some of the bits that will be of interest to you including establishing SSO between Microsoft and Google as well as some of the pieces that can be done with Intune and Defender for Endpoint.

I've also attached an A5 Deployment guide which while not exhaustive, does cover off a lot of the basic things you can do that apply to your scenario.

I think you'd be looking to use Azure AD Connect to synchronize Identities and Devices from the 2K12 Server to Azure AD. There is also an automatic enrolment to Intune via Hybrid Azure AD Join which is in the attached guide which will get your laptops into Intune so you can start pushing policies and apps to them. You can remove the 2K12 box later once files etc are removed as well but this is not covered in the guide.

Cheers,
Jono

Microsoft 365 A5 Deployment Guide.pdf

William Hamilton