Renewal Microsoft subscription message - do we have do anything

Vern Dempster

Mar 2, 2022, 3:46:37 PM3/2/22
to Techies for schools
Hi

I got this email yesterday

do we have to do any thing

usually its for a year isn't it

Thanks

Vern Dempster
ICT Mahurangi College
Warkworth
Renew your Microsoft subscriptions to avoid disruption

You have 2 expired subscriptions that will be disabled on April 1, 2022. To avoid disruption, renew your subscriptions in Microsoft 365 admin center by that date.

Turn on recurring billing or work with a Microsoft partner to automatically renew your subscriptions in the future.

Subscriptions being disabled on April 1, 2022

Product
Subscriptions
Impacted licenses
Total licenses
Office 365 A3 for faculty
1
146
0
Windows 10/11 Enterprise A3 for faculty
1
146
0

The “total licenses” column shows all the licenses you have for each product, including those that aren’t impacted.

Account information

Company name:

Simon Wright

Mar 2, 2022, 3:54:10 PM3/2/22
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing it's not getting renewed as it  'Office 365 A3 for faculty' has been replaced with the 'Microsoft 365 A3 for faculty' (A5) licence.

To which i have 6 less licences than i had before. All (most) 'non-teaching' staff end up having A1 licences.

Regards,

Simon Wright

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Yvette Ireton

Mar 2, 2022, 4:41:25 PM3/2/22
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
This may help - there was a previous discussion about this started by Lydia Kronawetter: Reminder: Action required to assign Microsoft A3 Faculty Licences

--
Network Manager
Te Kura Tuarua o Mohua / Golden Bay High School

Mark Edwards

Jun 27, 2022, 3:31:16 PM6/27/22
to Techies for schools
Am I missing something here too, seems that most schools have lost half the licenses once switching to Microsoft 365 A3 for faculty. this leaves support staff and some teachers unable to use....do I just contact DC and request more licenses?

Marlon Yu

Jun 27, 2022, 5:27:04 PM6/27/22
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

The answer I got from them was that the A3/A5 are for principal, full-time teachers and full time office workers only. Relievers (short and long term), property, cleaners, teacher aides, and part-time teachers all have to use A1.

If you still need more, you can always request but you’d need to provide how many more and details of who it is for.

I believe the numbers are based off of payroll data so I worked with our Payroll officer and reassigned licenses.

Didn’t impact us much as the services we did use didn’t have much of a difference between them: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/office-365-platform-service-description/office-365-education

Marlon

Jul 3, 2022, 11:33:06 PM7/3/22
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Hi Marlon,

What you’ve said is correct, it caused us some strife as we ran out of licenses at the start of the year, and I can also confirm it’s based on MoE Payroll data.

We upgraded our A3 licenses to the A5 licenses at the time it was also offered earlier this year.

The document I was sent when seeking clarification regarding the new Agreement basically says that Part-time Staff (teaching or non-teaching), Property Staff, Teacher-aides, Relievers (Long-term or Short-term) and Cleaning Staff are not worthy of a full A3/A5 license, and must have the (free) A1 license applied to their accounts.

This leads to situations where you might have e.g.:

Two Part-Time Calculus or Stats teachers having to use the restricted A1 license because the school is unable to find/employ a Full-time teacher due to teacher shortages

Long-term Relievers (for e.g. Maternity Leave) have to use a restricted A1 license even though they may be working Full-time hours relieving.

Part of the restriction is of course that with an A1 license the user is unable to use any Office Apps installed on their device, regardless that the school may have supplied them with a laptop with all Office apps installed, as the A1 license is for Office365 Online only, so they can only use the browser versions.

My last contact about licensing was months ago when I was advised that Datacom was meeting with the MoE and Microsoft to discuss the concerns I had raised, but to date I have never received another reply from any of those parties.

Our Principal applied for and we received an additional 20 A3 licenses, which I have now applied to our Teacher-aides and Property Staff, as they all use School devices with Office365 apps installed locally, so they can now carry on working as normal.

We’ve since “cleaned up” some of our payroll data, but we still have about 120 Staff on the A1 license, pretty much all Part-time employees such as Pool Staff, Itinerant Music Teachers, Hostel Supervisors etc., but we now have a few spare licenses for both the A3 and A5 for Faculty products,

We also now have to “Classify” Staff in KAMAR as being “Full Time”, “Part Time” or “LTR Staff” in order for those Groups to pop out in our AD/AAD Sync, and we can apply appropriate licenses to them, so at the moment it’s working for us, but the whole thing was an exercise in frustration in having to suddenly treat Staff differently rather than everyone being equal.

On the other hand, Google Workspace for Education Plus licensing means we have more than enough licenses to apply to all Staff, and everyone gets the same license, so the two Agreements are very different.

Brian

A3 Faculty additional licenses.docx

Simon Wright

Jul 3, 2022, 11:41:54 PM7/3/22
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Brian, do you not have A1 Plus for Faculty or Student? This allows the use of desktop apps and is what we use for the spill over.

image.png

Regards,

Simon Wright

Ben Green

Jul 3, 2022, 11:49:56 PM7/3/22
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Regarding use of desktop Office applications (aka M365 Apps) specifically:

One option: You can ask (was Datacom, now Cyclone) for per-device licences - "M365 Apps (Device)".
If you deploy these on your managed computers, then anyone can use full Office apps even with a basic A1 licence.

This reduces the limitation of basic A1 to just meaning that the user can't install additional copies of Office on their personal devices.
(ignoring other benefits of A3/A5 - just focusing on desktop office apps here)

Regarding "A1 Plus" licences -
Info on these seems very thin on the ground; did MS discontinue them circa 2020? (and schools that already had them got to keep them?)

- Ben.

Jul 4, 2022, 6:27:03 PM7/4/22
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Hi Simon,

Yes, that’s the license we’re applying to the 120 users in Part-time Groups, are yours working, ours didn’t seem to be?

Brian

Brian, do you not have A1 Plus for Faculty or Student? This allows the use of desktop apps and is what we use for the spill over.

Regards,

Simon Wright

Simon Wright

Jul 4, 2022, 6:59:19 PM7/4/22
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Works for us.

Regards,

Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

te...@whs.ac.nz

Jul 5, 2022, 5:39:49 PM7/5/22
to Techies for schools
We have  unlimited " Office 365 A1 Plus for students  " but not for faculty. (does it even matter?)
Are we meant to just "have" these?

guess il get in touch with cyclone