Apple School Manager - important updates

Carl Gamble

Jun 24, 2024, 11:24:57 PMJun 24
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon all

For those of you who manage Apple devices, I have an important update for you.

Some of you will be familiar with a scenario where a school owned Apple device is returned to you in a locked state - typically this is locked against an end user’s Personal Apple ID and you’ll be presented with a screen that looks something like this:

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 3.11.41 PM.png

Up until now, the only option for you to get this device unlocked is to either ask the user who used it last to release the device from their Apple ID or call Applecare and provide proof of ownership.

Now we have a 3rd option but note that this option is only available to you if your school owns the locked device and it was purchased in association with your Apple School Manager account.

To unlock a locked device, simply log into Apple School Manager using an ‘admin' or 'device enrolment manager’ account, find the locked device in your list of devices and select ‘turn off activation lock’ from the menu at the top right of the screen - see this screenshot:

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 3.18.46 PM.png

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Carl Gamble
Systems Engineer, New Zealand

Apple

Mobile  + 64 220 421949
Email carlg...@apple.com

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

This correspondence is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information or both. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this correspondence in error, please immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender. You must not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this correspondence if you are not the intended recipient.

Neither the sender nor Apple warrants that any communication via the Internet is free of errors, viruses, interception or  interference. Information is distributed without warranties of any kind.

Sam McNeill

Jun 25, 2024, 4:57:34 PMJun 25
to Techies for schools
Good shout Carl!

I included this in my roundup of things that stood out to me from WWDC24 as well:

From the blog, I said:

"I have heard horror stories of schools trying to unlock a device they own when a teacher has left the employment of the school but have locked the device using their personal Apple ID/Account. Thankfully, with this update to ABM/ASM this will be a problem no longer"

It's great to see this being addressed by Apple!

Cheers
Sam

Blake Richardson

Jun 25, 2024, 7:12:41 PMJun 25
to Techies for schools
Thanks for Sharing Carl, the old method at best was never fun.

Great news!