Office 365 Disable Apps

Blake Richardson

Mar 21, 2018, 8:57:19 PM3/21/18
to Techies for schools

Hi Everyone

We currently use Google App's but we are setup for O365 because we use the office suite as well. I am looking into Minecraft for education which invloves users having a O365 account, what I would like to be able to do is once I get the licensing disable users from trying to use O365's email function and possibly other app's

For the life of me I can't work out how to do this, the admin console isn't that great if im honest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Daniel Lewis

Mar 21, 2018, 9:59:17 PM3/21/18
to Techies for schools
Hi Blake, Try are you using Azure? try portal.azure.com

I assign licenses based on group membership, so I can disable an app to by removing the license to that app for that group.
go to azure active directory - groups - [select group] - licenses - [select license] then turn on/off apps.

We are mostly GAFE but also O365 ready.

Daniel @ AGGS

Sam McNeill

Mar 22, 2018, 4:42:21 PM3/22/18
to Techies for schools
Blake,

What Daniel referred to may not work for you as you won't have AzureAD P1 in place (something that is available to State/Integrated schools as part of the MoE agreement).

I wrote about it here:

I'd have to double check, but I think the Exchange Online part of the license bundle is core for the user being active... could be wrong on this but I think I've encountered it in the past.

Given you're (presumably) not going to map your domain name to the O365 Exchange environment, the only email that would end up there is that which is addressed to the alias of student@......onmicrosoft.com so it's not exactly 'active' in any meaningful sense.

Is your goal to stop students from trying to compose/send messages in there?

Cheers

Blake Richardson

Mar 22, 2018, 7:00:54 PM3/22/18
to Techies for schools
Hi Sam

What im trying to achieve is for staff to be able to use their copy of Office with some staff also having access to Minecraft Education edition. Some students will be added in and have access to MineCraft. I would prefer that no one uses the email side of things just to keep things simple.

I just assumed that since Google App's can enable and disable app's for certain Org's that O365 would be able to do the same.

Jeffrey B

Mar 22, 2018, 7:51:27 PM3/22/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
You can easily just not apply the licences for exchange to the students which will stop them accessing email.  You can use a powershell script with the azuread tools to assign liscences in bulk but the automatic liscence assignment under azuread  is the easiest.  Not sure if it requires the higher license as have applied it to users without that licence applied.

Jeffrey.