blogs, forums and content creation

Chris Watkins

Nov 10, 2009, 3:43:20 PM11/10/09
to Tech for Sustainability Wikis
BlogArticles looks interesting. After weighing it up, I believe it's unsuitable for Appropedia,

An example of it at work is at: http://green.wikia.com/wiki/Blog:Recent_posts

Upside:
  • For users who are comfortable with a blog or forum interface, this could make it easier to add content.
  • Users could be encouraged to tag their posts by topic. Then new content could then be found and used in the main wiki pages.

Downside:
  •  If we invite opinion in the form of blog posts, it's hard to justify deleting bad opinions - and yet with our policy of rigor, we don't want nonsense and bad advice on the wiki. Bad or wrong ideas can be deleted from wiki pages, which is a great strength of wikis.
  • If categories are used for tagging, we our categories may be cluttered by opinion pieces.
  • We don't even port most of the content we already have access to, so adding more of doubtful quantity isn't a big step forward.

However, I'm still interested in exploring ways of encouraging contributions. One related idea is to get forums to use a compatible license, so we can use their forum posts with attribution.

--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

blogs.appropedia.org
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia