[TSW] Google Docs Viewer - Easily embed PDFs/PPTs

Michael Koch

Apr 29, 2010, 7:50:45 PM4/29/10
to tech-for-susta...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Thought this might be of interest.

Google has a tool (http://docs.google.com/viewer) that allows you to embed PDFs or PPTs into web pages by simply entering the URL to the file and clicking "Generate Link". It uses the Google Docs Viewer that you might be familiar with already, and produces code to embed into an HTML page or email to others.

We're using it on the Energy Efficiency Reference as a way to display PDFs inside our wiki that we've attached to a particular page.
Example: http://eeref.engr.oregonstate.edu/EEREF_Energy_Efficiency_Reference/Opportunities_with_Calculation_Sheets/Photovoltaic_Array
(scroll to bottom for example)

Regards,
Mike

--
All posts to this list are licensed under CC-BY-SA and GFDL (take your pick if you reuse the content).

Groups "Tech for sustainability wikis" group.
To manage your subsciption, visit
http://groups.google.com/group/tech-for-sustainability-wikis?hl=en

Chris Watkins

Apr 30, 2010, 2:17:07 AM4/30/10
to tech-for-susta...@googlegroups.com
That could come in handy. It does raise a question about how to use a wiki. A page like this is no longer editable in the same way.

One idea is to have a policy of only allowing it for documents that have particular value in their original form, e.g. govt policy documents.

Then there is the copyright issue. My feeling is that embedded content can be excluded from the open license, so documents that don't fit the wiki's license can be used. This should be made clear somehow, though - at the very least in the wiki's copyrights page.
--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

blogs.appropedia.org
community.livejournal.com/appropedia
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia

Curt Beckmann

Apr 30, 2010, 8:51:47 AM4/30/10
to tech-for-susta...@googlegroups.com
I agree completely with your assessment, Chris.  That is, not for mainstream wiki content, but super useful for items where we want an image of original content, and for stuff where we have permission to share under something other than CC-BY-SA (and there is a fair amount of content where the explicit license encourages sharing, but under non CCBYSA terms).

Good stuff!
Curt
--
Curt Beckmann

Neophyte Humanitarian
Appropedia.org: Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.
Founding Admin / Director. 501(c)(3)