PDF open source solution - test request

Chris Watkins

Mar 8, 2010, 11:28:08 PM3/8/10
to Tech for Sustainability Wikis
We may have a solution to our PDF porting bottleneck:

* pdfimages command in linux spits out the images in a numbered series. Working for me, & very easy.
* OpenOffice allegedly opens PDFs and saves with formatting. I tried it a year ago without success, but a year's a long time. I suspect it'll be a bloated format, but worth a try - save the doc to HTML then convert with our wikEd tool.

Could someone with OpenOffice try it out and see how it works? Here's a doc we want: Are You Ready Full Document (PDF 21MB).

(I've removed OpenOffice from my own machine to free up space, and because I never used it).

that would be much appreciated - thanks!
Chris

--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

blogs.appropedia.org
community.livejournal.com/appropedia
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia

Chris Watkins

Mar 10, 2010, 8:05:39 AM3/10/10
I wrote:
Could someone with OpenOffice try it out and see how it works? Here's a doc we want: Are You Ready Full Document (PDF 21MB).

Chris Watkins

Mar 15, 2010, 10:27:46 AM3/15/10
to Tech for Sustainability Wikis
Was anyone able to get this working?

btw this might also be worth a try:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdftohtml/

There's a Windows version, and a Linux version that I couldn't get to work. From playing with the demo, it might get messy if converting a multi-column PDF to a single-column format such as a wiki page, but for single-column PDF files it could be a good option.

Chris