Anti-spam extensions & settings

Chris Watkins

Jan 13, 2011, 2:26:42 PM1/13/11
to Tech for Sustainability Wikis
Appropedia's been getting hit by spam bots and nonsense bots lately. I've found these extensions which look promising - has anyone tried them?
  • SimpleAntiSpam - adds a hidden form field to the edit page as an anti-spam/anti-bot check. If the field is not blank when the page is saved, the save will be aborted and a generic "you triggered the spam filter" page will be shown.
  • Bad_Behavior - I think this might do something similar, but seems more sophisticated, and offers other security benefits.
Of course we could add a tougher CAPTCHA or require registration, but I want us to stay as open as possible.

Thoughts?

Chris

--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

blogs.appropedia.org
community.livejournal.com/appropedia
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia

Curt Beckmann

Jan 13, 2011, 2:37:00 PM1/13/11
to tech-for-susta...@googlegroups.com
I'd certainly welcome good extensions, but I'm also fine with tougher CAPTCHA.  I don't see that as being "less open".  I think one concern about tougher CAPTCHA is additional server load.  On the other hand, SpamBots adding content which then needs to be removed also adds server load.  Perhaps the net server load of making CAPTCHA tougher is not too high a cost?

Curt

--
All posts to this list are licensed under CC-BY-SA and GFDL (take your pick if you reuse the content).

Groups "Tech for sustainability wikis" group.
To manage your subsciption, visit
http://groups.google.com/group/tech-for-sustainability-wikis?hl=en

--
Curt Beckmann
System

william.c...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2011, 4:33:35 PM1/13/11
to tech-for-susta...@googlegroups.com
I also would try extension "nuke" which clears a bunch of spam in one go.

Jan 13, 2011, 10:53:49 PM1/13/11
to tech-for-susta...@googlegroups.com
Thanks - Nuke seems like a great tool for the arsenal.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Nuke
"written by Brion Vibber in September 2005. It is running on ALL Wikimedia sites." - that's a very good heritage. And I just had a look at it on the the cotw.cc wiki (I'm an admin there) and I like how it works.