ParserFunctions - logical functions in templates

Chris Watkins

Nov 11, 2009, 5:33:46 AM11/11/09
to Tech for Sustainability Wikis
Lonny & others,

Have you looked at the ParserFunctions extension? It's used on Wikipedia to "Enhance parser with logical functions". I've seen this used in templates in Wikipedia. (See also Help:Extension:ParserFunctions.)

One application for us is with the navigation templates I'm working on for topic and category pages. I think it would let us use a logical switch to turn off whether to also link to a portal. (The other way I know to do this is to maintain 2 separate templates for each case - good enough for now if we're not ready for the extension.)

--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

blogs.appropedia.org
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia

Chris Watkins

Nov 17, 2009, 7:49:54 AM11/17/09
to Tech for Sustainability Wikis
Hi Lonny,

I just came across another application of this, a potentially important one. I'd like to make it easier to import images from Wikimedia Commons - the templates don't work, so rewriting license info for each image is a chore. I tried importing the templates, but there were several issues, especially parser logical functions. This extension would make things much easier.

This is one aspect of fixing up our image attribution, which is a concern to me - the sooner we fix it, the less work it will be, I think.

Chris

Will Dickinson

Nov 17, 2009, 9:31:19 AM11/17/09
to tech-for-susta...@googlegroups.com
You may want to try http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/StringFunctions it
does even more than parser functions especially with parsing article
titles. Used it here:
http://www.peacecorpswiki.org/Template:Categoryvolunteers