social media buttons?

Chris Watkins

Feb 9, 2010, 12:56:43 AM2/9/10
to Tech for Sustainability Wikis
what's the best way to put social media buttons on our front page and sidebar, to replace the current blurb on our front page? I mean to link to our Facebook page, Twitter, Identica accounts, blogs etc

Thanks

--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

blogs.appropedia.org
community.livejournal.com/appropedia
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia

Smári McCarthy

Feb 9, 2010, 4:46:12 AM2/9/10
to tech-for-susta...@googlegroups.com
Check this script out. You can use it to insert buttons for those social
media sites that people use, and not the ones they don't.

http://www.azarask.in/blog/post/socialhistoryjs/

- Sm�ri

Chris Watkins wrote:
> what's the best way to put social media buttons on our front page and
> sidebar, to replace the current blurb on our front page? I mean to link
> to our Facebook page, Twitter, Identica accounts, blogs etc
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Chris Watkins
>
> Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.
>

> blogs.appropedia.org <http://blogs.appropedia.org>
> community.livejournal.com/appropedia
> <http://community.livejournal.com/appropedia>
> identi.ca/appropedia <http://identi.ca/appropedia>
> twitter.com/appropedia <http://twitter.com/appropedia>
>
> --
> All posts to this list are licensed under CC-BY-SA and GFDL (take your
> pick if you reuse the content).

> Groups "Tech for sustainability wikis" group.
> To manage your subsciption, visit
> http://groups.google.com/group/tech-for-sustainability-wikis?hl=en

Chris Watkins

Feb 9, 2010, 6:59:16 AM2/9/10

2010/2/9 Smári McCarthy <sm...@anarchism.is>

Check this script out. You can use it to insert buttons for those social
media sites that people use, and not the ones they don't.

http://www.azarask.in/blog/post/socialhistoryjs/

I love it. Anyone interested in helping to hack this and make it work in our Sidebar?

It doesn't work perfectly (as noted in comments - and for me, it doesn't detect Twitter, for one).  But it's still much more targeted on average than listing everything, and we can have a "more" link after it, or a button that displays icons of all relevant sites.

 - Smári
community.livejournal.com/appropedia
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia

Lonny

Feb 9, 2010, 2:22:36 PM2/9/10
to tech-for-susta...@googlegroups.com
Very cool (and a little scary) solution!

Will this slow down the site for those on really slow connections?

Thanks,
-Lonny
http://www.appropedia.org/
http://www.ijsle.org/

Jason Smithson

Feb 9, 2010, 2:49:45 PM2/9/10
to tech-for-susta...@googlegroups.com
If I understand the solution I don't think it will slow down anything as it is pulling local information from the browser to do what it does.

I have to say I'm not a fan of this option though I can see its attraction. I don't think it is going to prove reliable enough for the purpose it serves as noted in the comments there.

It seems like it might make more sense to have displayed badges for the top 4 or 5 sites we want to target and keep the rest behind a drop down.

Google Analytics should show what our current primary referrers are and we can court them then try to flesh it out with the other top tier sites and not worry so much about the rest.

Whichever way we go I'll pull some info tonight on what the top sites are for us and in general so we at least have that data to work with.

- J.
_______________________

Jason Michael Smithson
http://breakset.com/
812.399.0909

Smári McCarthy

Feb 9, 2010, 8:22:49 PM2/9/10
to tech-for-susta...@googlegroups.com
For loading time, only to a very small degree. This can be mitigated to
some degree by packing the javascript (which could be done in general
for scripts on the site).

For runtime, no. But it could cause a (typically insignificant) slowdown
on render time for people with slow computers.

I agree though, the potential for abuse with that script is really high,
which is one of the reasons why we should strive to make use of it, but
only in a correct way.

[Example clever but malicious use: Assign sites numbers 1, 2, 4, 8,
16,... and then OR those together and send a "bitmap" of the social
networking sites a user uses encoded as an integer... then unpack on
server side. Because it's an integer, it's small, and it's virtually
undetectable, even by those who generally scrutinize the contents of
their AJAX/JSON requests. The workaround is to disable Javascript, of
course, but that's not the point...]

- S

Lonny wrote:
> Very cool (and a little scary) solution!
>
> Will this slow down the site for those on really slow connections?
>
> Thanks,
> -Lonny
> http://www.appropedia.org/
> http://www.ijsle.org/
>

> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Chris Watkins

> <chrisw...@appropedia.org <mailto:chrisw...@appropedia.org>> wrote:
>

> 2010/2/9 Sm�ri McCarthy <sm...@anarchism.is <mailto:sm...@anarchism.is>>

> Check this script out. You can use it to insert buttons for
> those social
> media sites that people use, and not the ones they don't.
>
> http://www.azarask.in/blog/post/socialhistoryjs/
>

> I love it. Anyone interested in helping to hack this and make it

> work in our Sidebar <http://www.appropedia.org/MediaWiki:Sidebar>?

> It doesn't work perfectly (as noted in comments - and for me, it
> doesn't detect Twitter, for one). But it's still much more targeted
> on average than listing everything, and we can have a "more" link
> after it, or a button that displays icons of all relevant sites.
>

> - Sm�ri

Lonny

Feb 9, 2010, 10:16:14 PM2/9/10
to tech-for-susta...@googlegroups.com
Appropedia used to use, with some success, addthis.   It helped generate about 20 explicit shares per day, but some user complained about it getting in the way.  I think that was partly its poor location under the search box.

Any thoughts on just using that again?  Please feel free to lambast this poorly researched option.
2010/2/9 Smári McCarthy <sm...@anarchism.is>
>     2010/2/9 Smári McCarthy <sm...@anarchism.is <mailto:sm...@anarchism.is>>

>         Check this script out. You can use it to insert buttons for
>         those social
>         media sites that people use, and not the ones they don't.
>
>         http://www.azarask.in/blog/post/socialhistoryjs/
>

>     I love it. Anyone interested in helping to hack this and make it
>     work in our Sidebar <http://www.appropedia.org/MediaWiki:Sidebar>?
>
>     It doesn't work perfectly (as noted in comments - and for me, it
>     doesn't detect Twitter, for one).  But it's still much more targeted
>     on average than listing everything, and we can have a "more" link
>     after it, or a button that displays icons of all relevant sites.
>

>          - Smári

Chris Watkins

Feb 9, 2010, 10:54:54 PM2/9/10
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:16, Lonny <lo...@appropedia.org> wrote:
Appropedia used to use, with some success, addthis.   It helped generate about 20 explicit shares per day, but some user complained about it getting in the way.  I think that was partly its poor location under the search box.

Any thoughts on just using that again?

20 shares a day - that's worth having, and it'll increase. I'd like to see that go back in a different spot. (If we eventually move the search box it'll be easier.)

But I'd also like to see links to our own pages on social media sites, as well as enabling an easy way to share links.