FYI Robotics Teams at Navy Gold Coast Convention

Sandra Hodge

Jul 31, 2013, 2:00:42 AM7/31/13
to Teamsandiego, David Berggren, Steve Stark, Rodger Spyder Dohm, Todd Parr, mmar...@sandi.net, dru...@ucsd.edu, Paul Koniarski, Alec Harley, Hidalgo, Ed, Wanda Parise, William Bill Tunstall, maria.c...@sweetwaterschools.org, Yun SuperNURDs Lutgen, Cheryl Greg Cox

Fellow School Robotics Enthusiasts,

As in the past, the San Diego Chapter of the National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA) will be hosting its annual Gold Coast Conference at the San Diego Convention Center August 27-28.  As in previous years we're inviting our local robotics teams to demonstrate their robots on the exhibition floor, providing the students a chance to show their work off to the high tech industries working on robotics and other advanced systems. Gold Coast continues to be one of the biggest gatherings of defense companies and government engineers and we expect this year we'll have over 200 high technology businesses and leaders of the defense industry in attendance.If you have participated with us in the past, you know how popular the kids and their robots are with the Gold Coast attendees and it's a great opportunity to talk with the companies that will be looking to hire your students in a few years.

The "window" for displaying will be noon to 7:00pm, Tuesday, August 27th. This year we will have more room  to accommodate both the robots and expanded booth space to set up displays. We can handle about three teams at a time with about 5 team members with each  robot. I will coordinate a schedule based on inputs from you. You're not obligated to spend any specific length of time with us. The hall will be more populated later in the day and a reception where the attendees will gather to visit each and network will begin at 5:00pm. This is when you'll probably see the most people

I realize that this comes in the middle of summer and that makes it difficult to reach out to your teams. However, this is a great opportunity for your teams to meet engineers in the high tech field and get a first hand look at what technology is being developed for the military and homeland defense. The interaction for the kids is a real learning experience; it's a friendly crowd and the kids and their machines are always a hit.

Please let me know if you are interested and when you'd like to participate.

Regards,

Terry McKearney

Chair, NDIA San Diego STEM Committee

The Ranger Group