Referendum Reps, VP Vote and CEA2017 Collaboration

Austin Fatheree

Sep 9, 2015, 3:31:17 PM9/9/15
to teamlessigtech
This speaks to two other existing topics so I'm creating a new thread.

I've done a good bit of thinking about referendum representatives and how that would work(specifically because I'm considering running if I can talk my wife into it).

The solution that I've come up with involves using this tool:  http://liquidfeedback.org/

Basically the proposition is this:  Representatives run on the sole platform of the CEA2017, all other congressional votes will be presented to constituents via the liquid feedback application and voted on by the constituents (or their assigned delegates) and the result will be what the member votes in congress whether he/she believes that should be the vote or not.

The major technical questions are if the system could support the type of populations that are involved.

More about the principles can be found in the pdf here:  http://principles.liquidfeedback.org/

I'm not married to this software packaged, but it is open source and seems to tick off the boxes that we are interested in like protecting minorities and letting voters rank their choices.

Beyond referendum reps, creating an instance of this for putting together the CEA might be a good idea.  The api could also be used to do a ranked vp vote...although that will probably take some work.

-Austin

Manuel Hurtado

Sep 10, 2015, 1:15:17 AM9/10/15
to teamlessigtech
Looks nice!

Anyone familiar with @DemocracyOS?

Here is @piamancini's talk at #TEDGlobal2014 yesterday: "To upgrade democracy for the Internet era" http://on.ted.com/g0Vp9

Austin Fatheree

Sep 10, 2015, 11:51:11 AM9/10/15
to teamlessigtech
Yes! Awesome.  Exactly what this woman is proposing. I'll do some research on democracyOS.

Ian Panchèvre

Sep 10, 2015, 4:17:50 PM9/10/15
to Austin Fatheree, teamlessigtech
Let's for sure use Democracy OS! It's a great technology and the team behind it is fantastic: Y-combinator, and super excited about "hacking democracy" with technology.

I actually know the founder of DemocracyOS, Santiago. Pia Mancini is his partner.

By the way, Pia has an awesome Ted Talk that y'all should check out: http://www.ted.com/talks/pia_mancini_how_to_upgrade_democracy_for_the_internet_era

If it's okay, I'd like to reach out to Santiago and let him know that the Lessig campaign would be interested in using Democracy OS.

What do y'all think?

-Ian

Ian Panchèvre

Austin Fatheree

Sep 11, 2015, 9:40:34 AM9/11/15
to teamlessigtech
If you have a contact over there we should definitely use them to get more info.  My concerns with democracy os are

1.  It doesn't look ready to launch
2.  I can't tell if it has ranked voting  Everything looks to be yea nay or abstain.  Ranked voting when considering bills and amendments will drastically reduce the number of items that have to be considered and help to reduce partisanship and increase the amount of progress that can be made over time.

-Austin

Manuel Hurtado

Sep 11, 2015, 4:41:58 PM9/11/15
to teamlessigtech, i...@prepd.in
+1 Reach-out DemocracyOS even if it's through @Santisiri, the campaign can well use their SM channels to reach out more people around the web

Barry Rafkind

Sep 12, 2015, 10:38:27 AM9/12/15
to Austin Fatheree, teamlessigtech
Re: "it is ... seems to tick off the boxes that we are interested in like ... letting voters rank their choices."... "The api could also be used to do a ranked vp vote...although that will probably take some work."

I'd rather see us using Score Voting since Instant Runoff Voting (IRV) degrades to Plurality ... perhaps we could fork the source to make that change.

Manuel Hurtado

Sep 12, 2015, 11:36:21 AM9/12/15
to teamlessigtech

Austin Fatheree

Sep 12, 2015, 11:51:07 AM9/12/15
to Manuel Hurtado, teamlessigtech
Can someone explain the difference? Assigning a score to every option seems like a bit of a burden, especially if we are tally about an entire congressional district debating a bill with multiple options.

Whatnots the mathematical difference between ranking I approve the bill with amendment A above I approve the bill with amendment B and giving one an approval of 90% and one an approval of 50%?

Liquid feedback lets you order your prefs, abstain from some, and reject others.

I just haven't read much about the difference.

Barry Rafkind

Sep 12, 2015, 12:00:27 PM9/12/15
to Austin Fatheree, Manuel Hurtado, teamlessigtech
With Score Voting, you needn't rate every option and you can express the degree of support for each one rather than simply your ranked preference. Furthermore, SV isn't susceptible to spoiler candidates the way IRV is.