Dashboard with Graphite widget : how to add a legend

Benjamin Falque

Jan 2, 2014, 10:31:14 AM1/2/14
to team_da...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm new to use Team Dashboard, very useful with Graphite.
I would like to add a legend into my dashboard when I use a widget where the source is a Graphite target.
Do you know to do this please ?

Thanks a lot,

Regards

Benjamin

Frederik Dietz

Jan 3, 2014, 3:15:18 AM1/3/14
to team_da...@googlegroups.com
Hi Benjamin,

the current graphite support is in development. The "old" widget is called "graph widget" and renders a graph based on the JSON response from graphites render URL API (https://graphite.readthedocs.org/en/latest/render_api.html), it doesn't support legend though.

The new approach is called "graphite widget" and it uses the same API but renders the returned SVG as is. In the sourcecode app/models/graphite_url_builder.rb#datapoints_svg_url there's a URL param "hideLegend=true". If you change it to "false" it will render with the legend as provided by graphite.

In the future this could be a param which is exposed in the graphite widget editor dialog though.

Cheers,
Frederik

Benjamin Falque

Jan 3, 2014, 6:08:31 AM1/3/14
to team_da...@googlegroups.com
Hello Frederik,

Thank you so much for you answer.

Just after I've wrote this post, I've found the parameter : hideLegend . I have tried but another problem is appeared. When I use graphite widget and not graph widget, I use SVG like your said and when I configure all the fields in the widget when I try to refresh the page the widget load a long time and failed , the error message is : Request error , timeout error, I have check the log and try to get the url requested to graphite and it seems when I use SVG I've got timeout then an error 500 (Completed 500 Internal Server Error in 60053ms) but not with JSON. I have checked my graphite version I have well the 0.9.12 (installed by RPM on Centos 6).

Do you have an idea about this ?

I would like to thank you again for your support.

Regards

Benjamin

Frederik Dietz

Jan 23, 2014, 4:05:53 AM1/23/14
to team_da...@googlegroups.com
Hi Benjamin,

if this is really a request error when calling the graphite url, I suggest to ask the "graphite web" if you think it could be a bug there.

On the hand it might be only a problem with a URL parameter not used correctly, it is quite difficult to track down. I suggest to copy the URL from the log output in your browser and start removing URL params until it works again.

Cheers,
Frederik