Fwd: [Wikimediaau-l] Vale Janet Hawtin Reid (@lucychili)

Leigh Blackall

May 15, 2018, 1:29:19 AM5/15/18
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Very sad news about lucychili everyone!

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Pru Mitchell <pru.mi...@wikimedia.org.au>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018, 22:44
Subject: [Wikimediaau-l] Vale Janet Hawtin Reid (@lucychili)

Dear Wikimedians

It is with great sadness that I record the news of Janet Hawtin Reid's death last week.

Janet (known online as Lucychili) was involved in the early formation of Wikimedia Australia, leading the Adelaide contingent at our Incorporation meeting in April 2008.

She was an organiser of Adelaide meetups, including Meetup #2 which was significant for having Jimmy Wales as a guest. It was also my first wiki-related event, and I attended because my friend and work colleague Janet invited me. I am personally grateful to have known and worked with such a creative artist and original thinker. It was wonderful to catch up with Janet and her partner Kim at the last Adelaide Meetup #20 in January this year.

Janet would also be known to many of our community for her tireless advocacy of open source, particularly those who have affiliations with the wider Australian FOSS community.  As a sign of respect for Janet, and to remember her tireless support for Open Source in Australia, Linux Australia have added her name to the linux.org.au X-Clacks-Overhead HTTP header entry.

Her funeral will be held in Adelaide tomorrow afternoon, Monday 14 May, at Enfield. On behalf of Wikimedia Australia and the community, I extend our sincere condolences to Kim, and to Janet's family.

Stay safe everyone, and in Janet's memory, consider who you can invite to get involved in our community.

Kind regards, Pru
--

Pru Mitchell
President Wikimedia Australia

Wikimedia Australia Inc. is an independent charitable organisation which supports the efforts of the Wikimedia Foundation in Australia. We welcome your support by membership or donations to keep the Wikimedia mission alive.

Barbara Dieu

May 15, 2018, 6:25:37 AM5/15/18
to teachandlearnonline
Very sad news indeed, Leigh. I met Janet  through Alex at the 2008 Linux conference in Melbourne. We have followed each other in posts  on FB ever since. She was sensitive, caring and very creative. I will miss her presence even if online and from so far.
B.

TALO Links

Alexander Hayes

May 15, 2018, 9:07:36 AM5/15/18
to teachandl...@googlegroups.com
This news leaves me feeling devastated. Janet and I spent many hours in communications about her artwork, her life challenges and more recently about her enduring work with FOSS. Janet was a kindred soul and shared in traumatic endurance that life presents itself. I don't know how to express my sadness except to cry and hope that her return into matter as being the liberation she sought to instil in us all. I really cant believe this has happened and that I have lost yet another friend this year (three so far). I am trying my best to get past the worst of my own challenges at present and just feel incredibly sad for her whole Family and Partner, Kim....life is so short and so deeply sad at times.

Regards,

Alexander Hayes
+61427996984

TALO Links