Universities using web 2.0 in learning and teaching, examples of practice

Mark van Harmelen

Jun 18, 2007, 3:43:41 AM6/18/07
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Its my first post to this group. I live in the UK and do general e-learning stuff, with an emphasis on the web 2.0 end of things.

A colleague, Tom Franklin, and I are doing a survey on universities using web 2.0 systems in teaching and learning, and we are looking for leads to a couple of things:
  • Non-UK universities deploying web 2.0 systems at an institutional level across the whole university
  • Examples of teaching practice, peer supported learning, and workplace learning using web 2.0 systems, anywhere in the world
If you can help with examples and/or leads, please, we'd be very grateful.

thanks
mark

--
Mark van Harmelen
primary email -- ma...@cs.man.ac.uk

Merrolee Penman

Jun 18, 2007, 4:47:10 AM6/18/07
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark
I've had a web 2.0 project at the moment working with a group of occupational therapists to develop their skills in the use of web 2.0, with the aim to increase the presence of our profession on the web....

my blog which explains aspects of this project with the link to the seven blogs is here:
http://oteducation.wordpress.com

We also use blogs in a second year course for undergraduate students (we work at a polytechnic offering trade certificates/foundation courses through to masters degress) ( www.otagopolytechnic.ac.nz).

Web 2.0 is popping up in other courses in the polytechnic - but Leigh who works in the Educational Centre and set up this group could explain this better than me..
Merrolee

Peter Shanks

Jun 18, 2007, 7:30:53 AM6/18/07
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com, ma...@cs.man.ac.uk
Hi Mark,
I'm working on a web 2.0 system that you might be interested in...

Training o2 at http://trainingo2.net is a social resource gathering site built around the  training packages used in our vocational education system here in Australia.

It allows students and trainers to submit links to online resources and has an interface for leaving comments and creating quiz questions; along with functions for rating the resources, comments and questions; tagging; producing RSS feeds and social networking.

I'm still working on it, but preliminary testing has been promising and I'm encouraging VTE trainers to try it out over the next couple of weeks (leading up to our mid-year break).

Feel free to play around with it and drop me a line if you need any more information,

Peter (shaggy) Shanks
a.k.a. botheredbybees

Barbara Dieu

Jun 18, 2007, 11:24:20 AM6/18/07
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mark,
I teach at a bilingual secondary school (Franco-Brazilian students
preparing for the baccalaureat) in Sao Paulo, Brazil and have been
using social tools with my high school classes since 2003 -
Wordpress, Flickr, 43things, people and places, community walk,
bloglines, del.icio.us, wikis , co-comment suprglu.
http://lycee.wordpress.com

In 2005, together with two university professors working in Japan, we
opened Dekita.org, which advocates peer to peer and open and
participatory uses of the Web in EFL/ESL courses worldwide. We also
launched the Dekita Exchange, which brings together courses using
these tools and the Orchard, which aggregates individual learner posts
.

http://dekita.org/about
http://dekita.org/exchange
http://dekita.org/orchard
http://dekita.org/articles

I have also given a number of presentations on the subject and
co-moderated two online workshops for teachers on Web 2.0 (one in 2005
and one in 2007) http://evo05.blogspot.com/ (see sidebar for other
links)
http://openwebpublishing.wikispaces.com

Feel free to contact me off-list if you need more information.

Warm regards from Brazil,
Bee

--
Barbara Dieu
http://dekita.org

Mark van Harmelen

Jun 18, 2007, 11:50:26 AM6/18/07
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone

What a friendly and helpful list :-) thanks Merolee, Peter and Barbara, I'll check your URLs out, and anyone else, please do let me know what you are doing or who/what you know.

regards

Merrolee Penman

Jun 18, 2007, 4:43:48 PM6/18/07
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
no problem Mark - happy to help...what professional background are you coming from?  If you are wanting to see what a local UK occupational therapist is doing (based in Oxford, UK) then contact will wade at his website www.metaot.com   He is talking with his professional body at British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT) to encourage at a macro level the use of Web 2.0 tools.

You should also look very carefully in the VET sector in Australia - they are very innovative in their use of elearning tools.... Konrad Glogowski's blog is certainly worth checking out..
http://www.teachandlearn.ca/blog/

<errp;ee

Helen Lindsay

Jun 19, 2007, 3:13:16 AM6/19/07
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
I'm also from Otago Polytechnic - Dunedin_ New Zealand (as is Merolee) I have been developing two or three courses on wikieducator which are all available from http//:wikieducator.org/Peer_tutoring . Other courses Otago Polytechnic have been developing can be found at http://www.wikieducator.org/Otago_Polytechnic The Peer tutor training course is set to go live to students in about four weeks and will be facilitated from a Blog. The students won't necessarily even see the front pages on the wiki, they will be directed to the resources and activities from a Blog (yet to be started). The wiki has really been designed for teachers and aims to staircase learners into other courses such as Cert in Adult Education. The blog about this project is at : http://helenlindsay.wordpress.com

Hope this helps,
Helen

JodyB

Jun 19, 2007, 10:07:10 AM6/19/07
to Teach and Learn Online, gdu...@rrc.mb.ca
Hi Mark,

I teach at Red River College located in Winnipeg, Canada. We've built
a course around OpenWiki with 600+ students working collaboratively to
build a common body of knowledge in the area of E-Business. The course
was run for the first time this past January. There were many issues
but many successes as well. The course was awarded the 'Best use of
Educational Technology' award at this years Canadian Association of
Distance Educator awards dinner. If your interested in lessons learned
or would like to gain access to the course site, please feel free to
contact me at jbaty at rrc dot mb dot ca

Jody

On Jun 19, 2:13 am, "Helen Lindsay" <helenplind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> I'm also from Otago Polytechnic - Dunedin_ New Zealand (as is Merolee) I
> have been developing two or three courses on wikieducator which are all

> available from http//:wikieducator.org/Peer_tutoring<wikieducator.org/Peer_tutoring>.

> Other courses Otago Polytechnic have been developing can be found athttp://www.wikieducator.org

> <http://www.wikieducator.org/Otago_Polytechnic>/Otago_Polytechnic

> <http://www.wikieducator.org/Otago_Polytechnic>The Peer tutor training
> course is set to go live to students in about four weeks and will be
> facilitated from a Blog. The students won't necessarily even see the front
> pages on the wiki, they will be directed to the resources and activities
> from a Blog (yet to be started). The wiki has really been designed for
> teachers and aims to staircase learners into other courses such as Cert in
> Adult Education. The blog about this project is at :http://helenlindsay.wordpress.com
>
> Hope this helps,
> Helen
>

> On 6/18/07, Mark van Harmelen <markvanharme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi everyone,
>
> > Its my first post to this group. I live in the UK and do general
> > e-learning stuff, with an emphasis on the web 2.0 end of things.
>
> > A colleague, Tom Franklin, and I are doing a survey on universities using
> > web 2.0 systems in teaching and learning, and we are looking for leads to
> > a couple of things:
>

> > - Non-UK universities deploying web 2.0 systems at an institutional

> > level across the whole university

> > - Examples of teaching practice, peer supported learning, and

> > workplace learning using web 2.0 systems, anywhere in the world
>
> > If you can help with examples and/or leads, please, we'd be very grateful.
>
> > thanks
> > mark
>
> > --
> > Mark van Harmelen

> > primary email -- m...@cs.man.ac.uk
> > secondary email -- markvanharme...@gmail.com
> > skype -- markvanharmelen

Leigh Blackall

Jun 19, 2007, 6:10:13 PM6/19/07
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Regarding Otago Polytechnic

It feels great to see 2 of my colleagues here stepping in and showing some of the things we are doing. Goes to show some of the benefits Web2 approaches has for staff development, participation, collaboration and the like.. and I had no idea Helen was on this list!! and she works right next door!

Mark, the http://wikieducator.org/Otago_Polytechnic link that Helen sent through is a list of course development projects we have going and they follow a unique development structure. The list will grow in the coming months and almost all of them have reasonably active project blogs behind them that we hope will turn into course or teaching blogs when the developments are self sustaining. We are developing our own institutional wiki at the moment and still thinking about the relationship it will have to the wikieducator work..

If you look into my Bloglines under EDC folder, you will see a number of staff blogs (some very active, others need some prodding) but you should see from that a reasonably active use of a few Web2 technologies at this Polytechnic  that has been built up in under 12 months.

Regards
Leigh
Educational Development
Otago Polytechnic

skype - leigh_blackall
http://learnonline.wordpress.com

Val Evans

Jun 24, 2007, 12:21:25 AM6/24/07
to Teach and Learn Online
Hi Mark - I undertook some research late last year into the use of
social software for teaching and learning in vocational education and
training across Australia as well as for knowledge sharing and
capability development both within and external to Australia. You
might want to check out the research wiki at http://socialsoftware-research.wikispaces.com/
where contributors have added links to what they have been doing and
where a series of case studies/stories are available.

Val