[Fwd: [Specify Project News] Specify 6.5 and GUIDS, Request for Quick Comment]

1 view

Steve Baskauf

Jul 21, 2013, 8:57:41 AM7/21/13
to TDWG-RDF TG
I don't use Specify but I'm on the mailing list and got the email quoted below.  When I got to the last part which said "The Specify 6.5 updater will overwrite any existing user-specified GUID values within a Specify database to a new value with the UUID format as shown above." I couldn't believe that it was for real.  They are really going to overwrite existing user-specified GUIDs with a new UUID??? This seems to me to be the antithesis of the best practice that persistent identifiers/GUIDs be reused whenever possible.  If I had gone to the trouble of reusing GUIDs in my database (which unfortunately not many people seem to have done), the last thing I would want would be for some software to automatically overwrite my values.

Since I don't currently use Specify and am not very familiar with how it operates any more, I may be misunderstanding this, but if I am interpreting this correctly it seems like a really terrible thing and the polar opposite of best practice.  Generating UUIDs should only be an option and there should be capabilities built into the software to reuse any form of extant persistent identifiers.

Steve

Jul 24, 2013, 1:13:20 PM7/24/13
to tdwg...@googlegroups.com, steve....@vanderbilt.edu
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 07:57:41 -0500
Steve Baskauf <steve....@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
> I don't use Specify but I'm on the mailing list and got the email
> quoted below. When I got to the last part which said "The Specify
> 6.5 updater will overwrite any existing user-specified GUID values
> within a Specify database to a new value with the UUID format as
> shown above." I couldn't believe that it was for real.

A lot of us pinged Jim Beach on this issue, and he's changed his mind
on this element of the proposal. Specify's 6.5 updater won't be
overwriting any existing GUID values.

http://sourceforge.net/p/specify/code/11233/

-Paul
--