Survey on the formation of an interest group related to semantic standards and LOD

1 view

Steve Baskauf

Nov 4, 2013, 11:45:14 AM11/4/13
to TDWG-RDF TG, Marie-Angélique Laporte
At the TDWG meeting last week there was a session to discuss the
formation of a new Interest Group focused on semantic tools, standards,
ontologies, linked data, etc. There seemed to be quite a bit of
interest and discussion at the session. The session organizers (Luca
Matteis, Marie-Angelique Laporte, Elizabeth Armaud) are taking a survey
to gauge interest in the group. It is at http://tiny.cc/5imr5w and they
would appreciate it if you would take a minute to fill it out. You can
also view the PowerPoint with discussion points which they had at the
session:
http://www.tdwg.org/fileadmin/2013conference/slides/Matteis%26Laporte_DiscussionGroupForSemanticStandarsLOD.pptx
It's also linked to the page where I'm trying to collect links to all of
the presentation given at the Semantics of Biodiversity Symposium
sessions: http://code.google.com/p/tdwg-rdf/wiki/Tdwg2013Semantics .

Just for clarification, in the TDWG Process
(http://www.tdwg.org/about-tdwg/process/ ), an Interest Group is a
long-term group with an interest in a particular area of biodiversity
informatics. A Task Group (such as the RDF/OWL Task Group for which
this is the email list) is supposed to create a specific product within
a specific time frame. It then theoretically ceases to exist. The
RDF/OWL Task Group's specific product is a bit vague, although there are
some particular goals and deliverables listed in our charter at
http://code.google.com/p/tdwg-rdf/wiki/CharterOfTG . It is possible
that if an Interest Group is formed, it may serve as the umbrella
organization under which Task Groups with a more limited scope may
function. In that case, it could replace the RDF/OWL Task Group (or
perhaps it might be better to morph the RDF/OWL Task Group into a longer
term Interest Group) as the longer-lasting entity. This is something
that we could discuss in the future.

Steve

--
Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences

postal mail address:
PMB 351634
Nashville, TN 37235-1634, U.S.A.

delivery address:
2125 Stevenson Center
1161 21st Ave., S.
Nashville, TN 37235

office: 2128 Stevenson Center
phone: (615) 343-4582, fax: (615) 322-4942
If you fax, please phone or email so that I will know to look for it.
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu